Registration for 2022-2023
SUMMER 2023 UPDATE
**Students & parents can still seek private driving school instruction for either/both portions (30hrs classrooms and 6hrs behind the wheel instruction) of the Driver Education course; please click on https://jordandriving.com/in-and-out-transfers/ for the transfer process.
- Spring (June, July-2 Sections, & August) 2023 Registration and Course dates will be released on April 3 BUT, April 10 - May 10 will be the official registration period (or until all class seats are filled; registration for summer sessions will be on a first come first serve bases, NO staggered registration for summer sessions).
- Registration and Payment are now PAPERLESS.
- Students must be 14.5 by the start of the course to be eligible.
- Visit www.jordandriving.com/athens-drive-high-school for registration information, registration link, and course details.
- For Parents who are interested; JDS offers Saturday/Winter/Spring Break classes; visit www.jordandriving.com for details and Contact Mary Brooks (email@example.com).
- Private/Charter Schools; including Stem Wake Early College need to contact Ms. Susanna Langdon via firstname.lastname@example.org for details and information on registration at those schools.
- Join Driver Ed Remind using code: @admhsde for updates and announcements.
Driver Education Overview
The goal of the Wake County Public School System and its driver education contractor, Jordan Driving School (JDS), is to provide a quality driver education program to all students in a safe and timely manner. The North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires 30 hours of classroom instruction and six hours of behind-the-wheel training. The average time to complete the Driver Education class, from registration through the classroom and driving phases, is four months. Students wanting their permits by age 15 must register on or before the age of 14 years, eight months. Students with extracurricular activities or jobs may take longer due to conflicts with scheduling driver education.
There are no academic requirements in order to take the driver education class. There are academic requirements in order to apply for a permit or license after finishing the driver education class.
Students should complete and submit a registration form. Once students are assigned to a class, they will be notified to pay the $65.00 fee in order to finalize their registration. Students that are dismissed from driver education class due to behavior or attendance problems will not be allowed to take driver education a second time through the Wake County Public School System.
Parents are highly encouraged to attend a parent-teen meeting, held on the last day of the classroom session for driver education students. This meeting will inform parents and students of behind-the-wheel procedures and provide best practices for parents teaching teens to drive. Attending parents will receive a Parent-Teen Driver Training Manual and DVD designed to give parents proper driving techniques and lessons, to help themselves and their teen, during Phase 1 of graduated licensing.
Registration InformationYou must be 14½ years of age for the required 30-hour classroom portion. Driver Education is offered through a private contractor, Jordan Driving School, after school hours, Saturdays, holiday breaks and during summer months. Driver Education is offered to each eligible student residing within Wake County, who pays a $65 fee to register for a class. A lead teacher at each of the WCPSS high schools is assigned to administer the Driver Education program.
You must be 14½ years of age for the required 30-hour classroom portion. Driver Education is offered through a private contractor, Jordan Driving School, after school hours, Saturdays, holiday breaks and during summer months. Driver Education is offered to each eligible student residing within Wake County, who pays a $65 fee to register for a class. A lead teacher at each of the WCPSS high schools is assigned to administer the Driver Education program.
For additional information, a message may be left for the lead teacher, who will return the call as soon as possible. You may also call Jordan Driving School, or visit their website www.jordandriving.com. On the website you will find general information, email addresses for the lead teachers, specific classroom dates and a list of additional classes that might be available. For Behind the Wheel questions or information specific to your school, contact your lead teacher.
Additional Contact Information for Driver Education:Jimmy D. Ray II(He/His/Him or Coach)Jordan Driving SchoolLead Teacher - Athens Drive Magnet HS (Rm: 2410)919-233-4050 ext. 24875 (Office)Behind the Wheel Instructor919-404-9345 (Mobile)Remind Code: @admhsdeTalking Points Code: 1VXBSB
Registration & Procedures
- 2022 - 2023 class dates can be found at https://jordandriving.com/athens-drive-high-school/