Appropriate dress is necessary in order to maintain an atmosphere that is conducive to learning and safety. WCPSS Board of Education policy states that students are “expected to adhere to standards of dress and appearance that are compatible with an effective learning environment. Presenting a bodily appearance or wearing clothing which is disruptive, provocative, revealing, profane, vulgar, offensive, obscene, or which endangers the health and safety of the student or others is prohibited.” At EGMMS, teachers are expected to use their professional judgment when determining if a student’s clothing is likely to cause a distraction or a disruption in the learning environment.
Examples of prohibited dress or appearance include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Sagging pants;
- Pants or shorts with any rips or tears, regardless of the location or size of the rips and/or tears;
- Excessively short clothing. No shorts or skirts should be more than 4 inches above the knee;
- Excessively tight closing;
- Males must wear shirts with sleeves;
- Leggings and stretch pants are not acceptable if the skirt, shorts, or top worn with them is shorter than 4 inches above the knee;
- Bare midriff shirts;
- Attire with messages or illustrations that are indecent, vulgar, or that advertise any product not permitted by law to minors;
- Head coverings of any kind including, but not limited to: scarves, bandanas, do-rags, and headbands wider than 1”;
- See-through or mesh clothing;
- Attire that exposes cleavage;
- Any exposed undergarments;
- Any adornment such as chains or spikes that reasonably could be perceived or used as a weapon;
- Any hair styles and colors that may be distracting to the learning environment;
- Teachers are asked to address dress code violations in the morning.
- Students will be sent to the main office to call and wait for clothing.
- Students who fail to get a change of clothing will be assigned ICS for the remainder of the day.
- Repeat violations are considered non-compliance and will result in a behavior referral.