Kindergarten Enrollment

  • In order to attend kindergarten, children must be 5 years old on or before August 31 of the current school year. In accordance with state law, gifted children who are age 4 by April 16 also will be considered for admission.

    Enroll for the 2015-16 school year:
    Rising Kindergarteners can pre-enroll beginning Jan. 15, 2015 at their assigned base school. To view the school assigned to your address, visit our address lookup tool.

    NOTE: You must register at your base school, even if you plan to apply to a magnet school.

    NOTE: If your 2015-16 base school is Abbotts Creek ES, Scotts Ridge ES, or Apex Friendship HS, register at your 2014-15 base school until the new facilities are occupied.

    Required documents:
    • Completed registration forms
    • Parent/legal guardian photo ID
    • Proof of residence in the form of a current electric, gas or water bill, a signed lease agreement, a closing statement or an offer-to-purchase contract with a closing date within 45 days that is in the name of the parent(s) or court-appointed guardian. Telephone, cable television bills and driver's licenses do not qualify.
    • A certified copy of the child's birth certificate, which can be obtained from the county or state health department where the child was born.
    • Immunization records. For a list of all required immunizations, visit the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services. If you do not have a certified immunization record, contact your physician or the Wake County Human Services. A new series of shots can be administered. If a record of completed immunizations is not received after 30 days of the first day of school, the principal is required by law to suspend the child from school on the 31st day until evidence of immunizations is presented.

    Additional items needed later:
    • A completed Kindergarten Health Assessment. North Carolina law requires that a kindergarten health assessment be completed on or before the first day of school before a child can enter kindergarten. The health assessment must be completed no more than 12 months prior to the date of entry. Physical examination forms are available at Wake County schools, area doctors' offices or at the Wake County Health Department. Parents whose children do not have a regular physician can get health assessments and immunizations through the Wake County Health Department. First-time appointments should call (919) 250-3947.
    • If coming from another school system, a completed Discipline Status Enrollment form is required.