Principal's Weekly Message - 8/1/2022
This is Ian Solomon, Principal of Leesville Road High School sharing the latest news and upcoming events.
Camp Pride - Freshmen and New Student Orientation
August 23rd, 7:30am-12:00pm. We are excited to welcome all new students to Leesville Road High School. Please use this link (https://tinyurl.com/2022camppride) to access more information on the structure for the day.
Student schedules are now available for view on Powerschool. Questions and requests for corrections can be submitted by email to email@example.com. The priority for schedule adjustments will be limited this year to clerical errors made by our staff that can be verified, missing courses, course level changes, and course prerequisite corrections. Our Student Services staff will prioritize making sure 1st semester schedules are accurate, with the goal of making sure 2nd semester schedules are completed as soon as possible.
Grading for Equity Initiative
During the 2021-2022 school year, as part of our continuous school improvement efforts, the faculty and staff engaged in a deep review of our grading practices. The onset of the pandemic and the adverse impacts it caused heightened the urgency of this work. Through a process of discussion (spirited at times), collaboration, and consensus, our faculty and staff deemed it would be in the best interests of all our students that an established floor of no grades below “50” be implemented effective this school year. The bullet points below provide the details of how this equitable grading practice will work.
- All assignments will be divided up into 3 categories: First-Time Practice, Minor Assessments, and Major Assessments.
- First-Time Practice: classwork or homework assignments that occur directly following first-time instruction and allow students to practice a new skill or apply a new concept.
- Minor Assessments: quizzes, labs, writing prompts, or small projects (typically able to be completed in a single day) that assess a student’s initial mastery of standards.
- Major Assessments: tests, essays, large projects (typically spanning over multiple days) that assess a student’s mastery at the summation of a unit of study or particular academic skill.
- Any first-time practice assignment and minor assignment that is attempted would have a minimum grade of 50. PLTs will have the flexibility to provide the definition of “attempt”.
- Any assessment that earns a score below 50 would receive a minimum grade of 50. In alignment with board policy, any major assessment under 70 would continue to be eligible for reassessment.
- Any assignment/assessment not attempted would be marked as NHI (not handed in). NHI is calculated as a grade of “0”.
- At the end of the quarter, if the quarterly average is below 50, the teacher will override the average to 50.
- The implementation of this change would eliminate the need for Academic Recovery Plans.
Powerschool Information Pick-up (repeat)
Parents or legal guardians that are new to the Wake County Public School System and Leesville Road High School or otherwise do not have Powerschool access may pick up the PowerSchool Access information for your student with your photo ID from the school beginning July 25.
Lunch and Parking Pass Applications (repeat)
Information for students (11th and 12th only) to apply and pay for 2022-2023 Off Campus Lunch Passes as well as 2022-2023 Parking Passes (Valid NC Driver’s License required) is now available under the Pride News section of the website. Links for access to required forms are now live. Payments can be made using the links in the applications. Please note all signatures are required for these passes and fines and fees cleared. Pass distribution will be held from 1 to 5 pm on August 18 and 19 in the main entrance lobby. Please note that there is a minimum of 24 hours needed from completion of your application to have your pass ready to distribute.
Summer Office Hours (repeat)
Summer office hours are from 8 am to 2 pm.
Meningococcal Vaccine Requirement (repeat)
Juniors (Rising Seniors): As of 2020, state law requires all seniors to have a Meningitis Vaccination booster dose after the age of 16 before they begin their senior year. If you have not already, please submit a copy of your immunization via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax at 919-670-4408. This proof needs to be received before the first day of the 2022-23 school year.
PSAT, PreACT, and ACT 2022-23 Dates (repeat)
As part of the NC school accountability plan for 2022-2023, all LRHS 10th graders will take the PreACT (likely in November), and 11th graders will take the ACT in March.
The PSAT is optional and will be offered at LRHS on October 12, 2022. Registration is required and will take place in early September. If you would like to receive an email reminder in late August/early September, please complete this form.
Thank you for your continued support of Leesville Road High School, where we take PRIDE in everything we do.