Principal's Weekly Message - 6/6/2022
This is Ian Solomon, Principal of Leesville Road High School sharing the latest news and upcoming events.
As a reminder, students taking an EOC exam must bring their WCPSS charged Chromebook. In addition, if a student does not have an exam on a given day, they should not be on campus.
Camp Pride - Freshmen Orientation
Save the date for Tuesday, August 23rd from 7:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Click here for the flyer.
Summer School Information (repeat)
Information and the application for Summer School can found in the link located under the Pride News section of our website. The summer school application is due by June 24.
Final Exam Update (repeat)
Please review the exam schedule and note that students should only report to campus June 6 - 10 when they have an exam scheduled. Please consult this list of exam expectations for all classes for clarification for each course. Classes are listed by teacher last name and class period. Students who are on campus during an exam period for which they do not have an exam on June 7 or 8 must report to their assigned classroom for that class period.
Final Exam Reminders for Virtual Academy Students (repeat)
Please review the exam schedule posted on the school website. Leesville Road High Virtual Academy students must report to Leesville Road High School to participate in state testing, regardless of the school where their Virtual Academy teacher is based. All CTE state assessments and EOC exams will be held on campus for VA students on Monday, June 6th. Doors open to the school at 6:30 am, with the test starting promptly at 7:25 am. Students with more than one CTE assessment or EOC will get a short lunch break between tests. More details regarding logistics, including the location of the exam, will be shared by each VA teacher and emailed to the student’s WCPSS email.
All teacher-made exams will be administered virtually.
WCPSS can provide transportation for Virtual Academy students who are required to take a face-to-face exam on Monday, June 6. Please complete this survey by May 23rd, if your student will need bus transportation. Students with their own transportation do not need a permission form to leave campus at the conclusion of the exam period.
All students taking a CTE state exam or an EOC should bring their WCPSS Chromebook and charger when they report for the exam. Students may not use personal devices for state tests. Students will not have access to cell phones or personal electronic devices during exam periods. Please make transportation arrangements in advance according to the posted schedule.
Makeup exams for all state tests will be administered on Thursday, June 9th at 7:25 am.
PSAT, PreACT, and ACT 2022-23 Dates (repeat)
As part of the NC school accountability plan for 2022-2023, all LRHS 10th graders will take the PreACT (likely in November) and 11th graders will take the ACT in March.
The PSAT is optional and will be offered at LRHS on October 12, 2022. Registration be required and will take place in early September. If you would like to receive an email reminder in late August/early September, please complete this form.
Chromebook OS Updates and Testing Use (repeat)
Keeping Chromebook OS current is critical to preventing and resolving many common device issues. Updates are downloaded automatically in the background when the Chromebook is on and completes the installation when the Chromebook is shut down and restarted.
IMPORTANT: Even new and replacement devices can be in need of Chrome OS updates.
Why is this important?
- Updating the Chromebook OS helps keep the system running smoothly.
- Some applications, particularly those used with state testing, require a specific Chrome OS version to function properly.
How do you update the Chromebook OS?
Note: Any staff or student can complete updates. No special login required.
- Power on the Chromebook.
- Device must be connected to the internet through Wi-Fi, but does NOT need to be on the WCPSS network.
- The OS version will display in the top right hand corner of the screen.
- The current version is 99.
- This can take 30-60 minutes depending on network traffic.
- The latest OS version should now be installed.
- If OS is 99, you are done.
- If OS is still not 99, staff or student must log into the device and manually update.
- If there are updates available, they will be installed and it will prompt to restart when finished.
Chromebook use for Testing
- Make sure Chrome OS is current before testing day.
- Many state testing apps will not function properly on older Chrome OS.
- If your school collected Chromebooks from students for testing (not recommended), you NEED to make sure each device is returned to the assigned student before the end of the year.
- Students and families are held accountable for the specific assigned devices.
Questions? Contact the WCPSS Help Desk and the appropriate support team will assist you.
Class of 2022 Spotlights (repeat)
In continuing a tradition started in 2020, I would like to post a picture of each Senior to our website and social media pages. In addition, a short, two sentence description of what their future plans after graduation are will need to accompany the photo. This slideshow will run through June 30. Please send submissions to email@example.com.
Thank you for your continued support of Leesville Road High School, where we take PRIDE in everything we do.