Principal's Weekly Message - 3/29/2021
This is Ian Solomon, Principal of Leesville Road High School sharing the latest news and upcoming events.
Plan A Transition
As communicated by the district, the WCPSS Board of Education voted to move to Plan A, allowing for daily instruction for all students in-person.
We ask that all families complete this survey by April 1 to inform us of your students' plans for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year. You can also access the survey link at the top of our homepage. Students may opt to remain in the Virtual Academy, move into the Virtual Academy, or return full-time to in-person classes. The new bell schedule to accommodate daily in-person learning can be found here. One-directional hallways, extended transition times, cleaning between classes, and socially distanced lunches will continue to be protocols that we follow at LRHS. Juniors and Seniors may complete this application granting permission for off-campus lunch.
Students asking to move from Virtual Academy to an in-person cohort (or vice versa) need to know that schedule changes, including teacher changes, may occur. The move from our current cohort rotation system to a Plan A model will occur by April 19. Communication will go out regarding the start date after the survey deadline. Students will be notified by their counselor once their schedule change has been processed, should they choose to change learning environments. A non-response to the survey above will indicate that your child(ren) wants to remain in their current learning environment (i.e., Virtual Academy or in-person).
EOC Individual Student Reports (ISRs)
Fall End Of Course (EOC) Individual Student Reports were mailed to families early last week. If you did not receive a report for your student who was tested in an EOC subject (Biology, Math I, Math III, English II) please contact our testing coordinator, Mrs. Swann at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Spring Break for students and staff begins Monday, March 29. Instruction resumes Thursday, April 8.
Leesville's 2021 graduation ceremonies will be held Thursday, June 10 at 6 PM and Friday, June 11 at 9 AM in Marshall Hamilton Stadium on the Leesville campus. Graduates with last names A-M (except for those taking a June 10 AP Exam) will have their commencement ceremony on Thursday, June 10 at 6 PM. All graduates with last names N-Z (as well as those taking the June 10 AP Exam with last names A - M) will have their commencement ceremony on June 11 at 9 AM. The rain date (as needed for either or both ceremonies) will be Friday, June 11. More detailed information will be forthcoming in the next few weeks, but all senior parents should plan on a Google Meet parent information session in mid-May. Please stay abreast of all information on the All Things 2021 page as well as Mrs. Dinkenor's postings on Twitter (@hdinkenor). All seniors should plan on picking up their caps and gowns on Thursday, April 8 between 2 and 5 PM.
Parking and Off -campus Lunch Pass Application for Juniors and Seniors
Parking and Lunch Pass Pick-up will be available Tuesday April 6 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM in the front circle. To receive your pass(es), you will need to have submit your google application and return all books that are overdue, before that time.
Otherwise, they can pick up on April 8, the first day of school in the front office.
AP Exam Schedule (repeat)
An informational flyer is now on the school's main website under Pride News that has information about AP Testing for this spring. You can also access this information using the following link: https://www.wcpss.net/cms/lib/NC01911451/Centricity/Domain/1078/AP%20Exam%20Flyer.pdf
Please view this flyer for details about the testing calendar. Any questions can be directed to Mr. Greene at email@example.com.
Pre-ACT Information (repeat)
Although all LRHS sophomores may take the free PREACT, we understand that not all sophomores (nor their parents) will be comfortable taking the exam in person. Sophomores are encouraged to participate, but there is no penalty for not participating. Bus transportation will be available to students who sign up. Students will be required to socially distance themselves as well as wear a mask during the test session. Students outside of WCPSS will not be allowed to test.
PREACT Exam is April 14 @ 7:30 - 11:00 am.
We are asking sophomores who are interested in taking the exam to sign up through this link so we can plan for appropriate social distancing:
Class of 2021 Information (repeat)
- Caps and gown will be delivered to the school on April 8. Cohort B may get theirs from 2-3 PM, and Cohorts A and C and VA students can get theirs from 3-5 PM. (Please note this is a change as cohort dates have changed). If you have not ordered, please order ASAP from this site linked here: LRHS cap & gown.
- Seniors (linked HERE) in the Class of 2021 have qualified for an honors stole. If you qualified and would like to purchase one, the cost is $13 and can be purchased at this link: LRHS $13 payment for honors stoles. This honor is determined by your cumulative weighted GPA from your first semester freshman year through the end of first semester of your senior year (January 2021). These will be delivered with caps and gowns on April 8. Mrs. Dinkenor knows which stole you earned and will give you the correct one at delivery. If you have any questions about your GPA, please email Mrs. Dinkenor at firstname.lastname@example.org or your individual counselor.
- We are beginning to learn information from the county about graduation and what that will entail and look like. Please know that as soon as we know more, we will pass that information on to you. Thank you for your patience as we navigate another graduation that may not look the same as previous graduations but will still be just as important and celebratory to our seniors and our community.
Textbook and Supply Distribution (repeat)
Our next textbook collection event will be held Thursday, April 15. Collection will begin at 3:30 pm and end at 5:30 pm. To make things run smoothly, please adhere to the following:
- Have your student check with their teacher(s) to see if a book or supplies is needed for the class.
- All traffic should approach campus from Country Trail, making a right turn into the Carpool lane at the front of the school.
- Prepare an information sheet prior to arriving to campus that you will show attendants with the following:
-Your student’s first and last name
- Course Name and description (i.e., Honors Chemistry, AP Calculus, World History etc.)
-Teacher’s last name for the course
- Remain in your vehicle and a staff member will assist you.
Thank you for your continued support of Leesville Road High School, where we take PRIDE in everything we do.