How to Enroll
In Wake County, students are assigned to a base elementary, middle, and high school for their Wake County home address. (Your home address is also referred to as your domicile in school board policy 4150.)
You will start by completing the online enrollment form as outlined below, then await instructions from your child’s base school about how to complete the enrollment process.
Families who are not able to complete the online process should contact their base school’s data manager. A school representative will contact you by telephone to assist with completing the online enrollment process.
Information for international students is at the bottom of this page.
Step 1: Find your base school
Find your base school using our address look-up tool. Your base school may have an enrollment cap. You will still register for your base school. Learn more about how an enrollment cap might affect you.
Step 2: Enroll online
Have questions? We encourage you to connect with us through our PowerSchool Community by web or chat for immediate access to our support experts. You can also call us on PowerSchool Enrollment (InfoSnap) Support Line, toll free at (866) 434-6276 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 3: Bring the enrollment materials to your base school
Once you’ve completed the form online, please wait for information from your child's base school regarding the completion of the enrollment process. To expedite your student’s enrollment, upload the following documents:
- A certified copy of your child's birth certificate. (Need a birth certificate? Parents of children born in Wake County may now order certified birth certificates on the Wake County Register of Deeds website.)
- Proof of your Wake County address (domicile) in the name of the birth parent or legal custodian, which must be one of the following:
- Current water, gas, or electric bill that is no more than 30 days old,
- Newly signed lease that is no more than 60 days old,
- Settlement statement or
- Offer to Purchase agreement
Agreements with a closing date no later than 45 days out may be used by existing Wake County residents as proof of address. Non-Wake County residents can use them only to pre-enroll for the next school year prior to June 30, and only if the purchase closing date is on or before June 30. Offer to Purchase agreements for homes under construction may require additional documentation of work completed. They may not be used as proof of residence to enroll or pre-enroll at a capped school.
- A photo ID of the birth parent or legal custodian
- Your child's immunization record
- Any custody documents
Step 4: Obtain and submit proof of immunizations and NC Health Assessment
State law requires every child entering public schools in North Carolina for the first time to receive a health assessment. The assessment must occur within 12 months prior to entering school. Your medical provider should provide a completed N.C. Health Assessment Form to the school on or before the child's first day of attendance. N.C. Health Assessment Forms are also available at Wake County schools, area doctors' offices or at the Wake County Health Department.
State law requires these vaccinations before a student enters kindergarten and 7th grade.
New requirement: State law now requires all rising 12th graders to get a meningococcal vaccine booster before starting 12th grade. Parents will need to provide a copy of their child’s immunization record showing proof of the meningococcal vaccine before the first day of school in August 2020.
Some families will be required to register through WCPSS' Center for International Enrollment or CIE. If you are referred to CIE, you'll be contacted initially by telephone. They will first ensure that you have the documents families need to enroll your child in school. When that is completed, a staff member will help you fill out all the forms you will need to register your child and provide you with general information regarding public schools as well as answer questions you may have.
Required documents to enroll your child
- A certified copy of your child's birth certificate
- Proof of your Wake County address (domicile) in the name of the birth parent or legal custodian, such as current water, gas, or electric bill, newly signed lease, or offer to purchase agreement.
- Photo ID of birth parent or legal custodian
- Your child's immunization record (if available)
- Academic records from previous schools (if available)
- Any custody documents.
CIE staff will assist with the completion of the enrollment process and will communicate with base school staff once the family is ready to complete the additional enrollment steps at the school.