Center for Global Studies and Spanish Immersion
We are the first and only elementary program with the theme "Center for Global Studies and Spanish Immersion being implemented school-wide in WCPSS from Pre-Kindergarten to Fifth grade.
Our amazing program offers...
Our teachers will create global units of study designed to prepare students to be global citizens.
Because global learning entails more than learning geography... cultural experiences will be embedded throughout the curriculum as well as elective courses. Students will explore the world through literature, cultural studies and celebrations, character education, and
participation in numerous projects.
World Language Instruction:
Students will have the opportunity to choose the Spanish or French language to study throughout their years here at Dillard Drive ES. Students will devleop fluency with our full-time world language t4eachers and have the opportunity to explore the culture as well.
Spanish Language Immersion:
In our Spanish Immersion program, participating students will develop fluency in reading, writing, speaking, and listening in Spanish as well as in English.
Beginning in Kindergarten, we will have 2 cohorts that will participate in the immersion program.
Each will have 90% of their instruction in Spanish and 10% in English.
This program is:
- Evidence-based literacy program
- Provides full-time world language teachers
- Taught through a variety of instructional models for world language instruction
- Globally-focused with thematic curriculum units
- Provides global studies elective and clubs
- Embraces innovative learning spaces to support global leaning
- Motivated to provide magnet-themed family engagement activities
- Immersion program begins in two classes in kindergarten and 1st grade and expanded over grades each additional year and continues through 8th grade
- Focuses on grade-level literacy skills, math, science, and social studies in Spanish
Benefits of Language Immersion Programs:
- Fully proficient bilinguals outperform monolinguals in the areas of divergent thinking, pattern recognition, and problem-solving and consistently score higher on the state assessments in reading and math.
- Language Immersion students are cognitively more advanced, are happier, are more engaged with instruction, have higher self-esteem and confidence.
- Prepares students with language skills or global mindsets to interact successfully in a global community.
- Leverages students’ innate interest in the world and builds their skill set of curiosity, accuracy of observations, questioning, and analysis, as well as proficiency to develop these skills in multiple languages.
- Student goals to become bilateral, bicultural, and bilingual before they enter high school.