Second Grade Curriculum
North Carolina Essential Standards Second Grade Visual Arts
Note on Numbering/Strands:
V - Visual Literacy, CX – Contextual Relevancy, CR – Critical Response
Visual Literacy Essential Standard
2.V.1 Use the language of visual arts to communicate effectively.
- 2.V.1.1 Use appropriate art vocabulary when discussing media, processes, or images in art.
- Create original art that expresses ideas about people, neighborhoods, or communities.
- 2.V.1.3 Understand the “story” in works of art.
- 2.V.1.4 Understand characteristics of the Elements of Art, including lines, shapes, colors, textures, form, space, and value.
- 2.V.1.5 Understand characteristics of the Principles of Design, including repetition, movement, emphasis, contrast, balance, and proportion.
2.V.2 Apply creative and critical thinking skills to artistic expression.
- 2.V.2.1 Understand that artistic problems have multiple solutions.
- 2.V.2.2 Use personal point of view of the environment as a source of imagery.
- 2.V.2.3 Create art from real and imaginary sources of inspiration.
2.V.3 Create art using a variety of tools, media, and processes, safely and appropriately.
- 2.V.3.1 Use a variety of tools safely and appropriately to create art.
- 2.V.3.2 Recognize characteristics of a variety of media.
- 2.V.3.3 Use the processes of drawing, painting, weaving, printing, stitchery, collage, mixed media, sculpture, and ceramics to create art.
Contextual Relevancy Essential Standard
2.CX.1 Understand the global, historical, societal, and cultural contexts of the visual arts.
- 2.CX.1.1 Exemplify visual arts representing the heritage, customs, and traditions of various cultures.
- 2.CX.1.2 Recognize that works of art represent specific time periods.
- 2.CX.1.3 Understand various movements in art and the artists that represent them.
- 2.CX.1.4 Compare art from various cultures.
- 2.CX.1.5 Understand that artists use natural resources in creating art.
2.CX.2 Understand the interdisciplinary connections and life applications of the visual arts.
- 2.CX.2.1 Recognize the impact of regional differences on the production of art.
- 2.CX.2.2 Understand relationships between art and concepts from other disciplines, such as math, science, language arts, social studies, and other arts.
- 2.CX.2.3 Recognize that some artists work in teams to create art.
Critical Response Essential Standard
2.CR.1 Use critical analysis to generate responses to a variety of prompts.
- 2.CR.1.1 Use art terminology to describe art in terms of subject and physical characteristics.
- 2.CR.1.2 Evaluate personal work, while in progress and at completion.