First Grade Curriculum
North Carolina Essential Standards First Grade Visual Arts
Note on Numbering/Strands:
V - Visual Literacy, CX – Contextual Relevancy, CR – Critical Response
Visual Literacy Essential Standard
1.V.1 Use the language of visual arts to communicate effectively.
- 1.V.1.1 Identify tools, media and processes.
- 1.V.1.2 Create original art that expresses ideas, themes, and events.
- 1.V.1.3 Recognize that symbols, subjects, or themes are used in the works of others to communicate.
- 1.V.1.4 Understand characteristics of the Elements of Art, including lines, shapes, colors, textures, form, and space.
- 1.V.1.5 Understand characteristics of the Principles of Design, including repetition, emphasis, contrast, and balance.
1.V.2 Apply creative and critical thinking skills to artistic expression.
- 1.V.2.1 Recognize that artistic problems have multiple solutions.
- 1.V.2.2 Understand how physical location affects what is seen in the immediate environment.
- 1.V.2.3 Create art from imaginary sources of inspiration.
1.V.3 Create art using a variety of tools, media, and processes, safely and appropriately.
- 1.V.3.1 Use a variety of tools safely and appropriately to create art.
- 1.V.3.2 Execute control of a variety of media.
- 1.V.3.3 Use the processes of drawing, painting, weaving, printing, stitchery, collage, mixed media, sculpture, and ceramics to create art.
Contextual Relevancy Essential Standard
1.CX.1 Understand the global, historical, societal, and cultural contexts of the visual arts.
- 1.CX.1.1 Recognize how visual arts are used in customs and traditions of various cultures.
- 1.CX.1.2 Identify images in art as depicting something old (historic) or new (contemporary).
- 1.CX.1.3 Classify art into categories, such as landscapes, cityscapes, seascapes, portraits, and still life.
- 1.CX.1.4 Understand how art represents different cultures.
- 1.CX.1.5 Understand that art is a reflection of the artist’s ideas, environment, and/or resources.
1.CX.2 Understand the interdisciplinary connections and life applications of the visual arts.
- 1.CX.2.1 Identify the role of functional art in various communities around the world.
- 1.CX.2.2 Identify connections between art and concepts from other disciplines, such as math, science, language arts, social studies, and other arts.
- 1.CX.2.3 Differentiate between sharing ideas and copying.
Critical Response Essential Standard
1.CR.1 Use critical analysis to generate responses to a variety of prompts.
- 1.CR.1.1 Use appropriate art terminology to express personal opinions about art.
- 1.CR.1.2 Explain how and why personal works of art are made, focusing on media and process.