Salamander News 10/26/2020
It was so great to see the first cohort of students return to school today! Everyone was in great spirits, and the students and staff did a great job following all of the new guidelines. We missed our students so much!
Observations From the First Day
- Carpool and buses went very well. Asking the required screening questions and taking everyone's temperature takes time, but families were very patient and kind. We expect that morning carpool and buses may take significantly longer starting on November 16th when we have more students attending school daily. We appreciate your patience.
- Students did really well with the 3 W's: Wear a cloth mask over your nose and mouth. Wait 6 feet apart. Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer. If your child's mask does not stay over his/her nose on its own, please adjust the straps this evening so it does.
- Remember to check your cohort to make sure that you are sending your children on the right week. Please call the office at (919) 363-2865 if you are not sure.
- Remember that all Plan B students need to attend school in their assigned weeks. It is not an option to continue learning virtually when your cohort is at school. All families will have the option to choose Plan A/B/C or Virtual Academy for the second semester when the selection window is open between December 2nd and 9th.
- If you have not already completed the Student Accountability and Required Health Protocols form and the bus attestation form mentioned below, please complete them right away.
- Families are being given temporary carpool tags when they first pick up at school in the afternoon. Permanent carpool tags have been ordered and will be given out when they arrive.
- Please remember to bring your device and charger daily.
- Only students in Cohort 1 in Pre-K through third grade and ECS students return in person on Monday.
- Students must wear a face covering and bring a water bottle.
- Read the Student Accountability and Required Health Protocols. Sign and return the signature page on the first day at school.
- Complete the bus attestation form online before the first day of school.
- Please sign the signature page and return to your child's teacher on the first day of in-person learning.
- This packet includes information on key protocols for health safety.
Plan B Families: Complete the Bus Attestation Form
Before your child can ride the bus, you are required to submit this form stating that you and your child will abide by all health and safety protocols for bus ridership.
Students are not permitted to ride the bus until this form has been submitted. You will need to submit a form for all of your children who plan to ride the bus during the 2020-21 school year.
Submit form online | Español
Information for Plan B and Virtual Academy Families . . .
Asynchronous Remote Learning Days for All Students on Plan B and Virtual Academy (Updated based on new information on 10/21)
The remote learning (asynchronous) days below are intended to support both teachers and students in having sufficient time to fully engage and succeed in their work. The extra responsibilities and new structures are a challenge for staff, students, and families. Details on remote learning days have been changing regularly. This has been one of the more significant challenges for our administration. We appreciate your grace and patience. Teachers will have the option to hold a brief morning meeting at 9:15 on asynchronous learning days.
The following dates are standard remote learning days for all Plan B and Virtual Academy students. These are normal days for Virtual Academy students. There will be approximately 2.5 hours of live instruction and 2.5 hours of asynchronous instruction.
11/3 (We have confirmed that this day will be a standard remote learning day.)
All Plan B students will receive their second quarter materials when they come to school for their first day of in-person learning.
Any Virtual Academy families who did not pick up their materials on the designated days should call the school at (919) 363-2865 to arrange a pickup time.
Updated Master Schedule for Both Plan B and Virtual Academy
Some minor revisions may still be necessary, but here is the updated master schedule, effective October 26th.
Google Meet Recordings
Please click here to read Salem Elementary's guidelines for requesting that a whole-group lesson in Google Meet be recorded when your child is absent. Requests must be made in advance.
10/26: Plan B Cohort 1 attends school in person for K-3, preschool, CCK, and ECS
10/28: Asynchronous remote learning day for all Plan B and Virtual Academy students.
11/2: Plan B Cohort 2 attends school in person for K-3, preschool, CCK, and ECS
11/3: Standard remote learning day for all Plan B and Virtual Academy students.
11/9: Plan B Cohort 3 attends school in person for K-3, preschool, CCK, and ECS
11/16: All Plan B students in K-3, preschool, CCK, and ECS start attending school in person daily.
11/16: Plan B Cohort 1 attends in person for 4-5
11/18: Asynchronous remote learning day for all Plan B and Virtual Academy students.
11/23-11/24: Standard remote learning day for all Plan B and Virtual Academy students.
11/30: Plan B Cohort 2 attends in person for 4-5
12/2: Asynchronous remote learning day for all Plan B and Virtual Academy students.
12/2-12/9: Application window to change your child's registration between Plan B and Virtual Academy
12/7: Plan B Cohort 3 attends in person for 4-5
12/14: Plan B Cohort 1 attends in person for 4-5
12/16: Asynchronous remote learning day for all Plan B and Virtual Academy students.
12/21-12/22: Standard remote learning day for all Plan B and Virtual Academy students.
12/23-01/22: Winter break and trackout