11-1-21 Weekly Message
11/1/2021 Weekly Message:
- Report cards will be sent home on Friday, November 5, 2021, for in-person students. They will be mailed out to Virtual Academy students the following week.
- IMPORTANT AP EXAM INFORMATION - All AP students must join their AP Classrooms by Monday, November 8th in order to register for the corresponding AP Exam. Students who do not register by the deadline but who decide to test later, will have to pay a $40 late fee charged by the College Board. Students who decide not to test after the November deadline will have to pay $40 unused test fee charged by the College Board. All students and parents of AP students should read this AP memo in its entirety. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iu2CcQYEr-M8iHZydsItJhqCxojbp88Z/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=102631084233913954816&rtpof=true&sd=true
- SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION - Triangle Virtual Scholarship Night - Wednesday, November 3rd 6-8pm!
Attendees will learn about scholarships available to high school seniors, adult learners, and DACA/undocumented students and have a chance to ask questions about applications, the selection process, and scholarships generally. Each provider will also be available to answer questions about their specific scholarships, and all registered attendees will receive a follow-up email with contact information, websites, and more details for each scholarship.
Register online: bit.ly/TSN-REGISTER
- Congratulations to the Cary High Band program on executing an terrific Cary Band Day event. This tradition has lived and thrived for 62 years thanks to the passion and dedication of our directors, band students, and band parents. You should be very proud of your accomplishments!
- Congratulations to the Boys’ Cross Country team on their outstanding performance Saturday at the Mideast Regional Championships. Out of 25 teams, Cary High placed 4th and qualified for the state championship meet . Our top 5 runners ran their personal best times. They were led by Matthew Martin who earned all regional honors.
- The Annual “Students Against Hunger” Food Drive is underway. Cans and other non-perishables will be collected in 1st periods and monetary donations can be made online. Check Instagram for the donation link. The 1st period with the most donations will win a breakfast from the student council. Donations will be accepted through December 1st.
- Students who missed the meeting about Governor’s School but are still interested in applying, can view information and a copy of the PowerPoint that was presented here: https://sites.google.com/wcpss.net/chsstudentservices/grade-levels/11th-grade If you would like to apply, please fill out the interest form on the same page so that Ms. Huber can check your eligibility. Applications, audition recordings, and recommendations are due Friday.
- Are you interested in CyberSecurity? If so, CyberStart America is a, FREE, no experience CyberSecurity training and scholarship competition. Training and practice challenges are now open through April and the scholarship competition will take place in May. Last year, there were 5,000 competitors and more than 500 scholarships of fifteen hundred dollars plus were given out to students. To sign-up, go to www.cyberstartamerica.org or see Mr. Walatkiewicz in Room 2318 with questions.
- Attention Seniors! It's time to order your cap and gown! Order online at the link listed below, which is also posted in the CHS Class of 2022 Google Classroom. If you are a mid-year graduate, you must order your cap and gown by December 1st. https://carolinagrad.net/collections/cap-gown/products/2021-cap-gown-and-tassel-unit?variant=38402872672407
- Attention students - Now you can visit the 6 top-ranked Liberal Arts Colleges without leaving the state. The last session is Monday, November 8th at 7pm. Students can RSVP here
- The Nu Rho Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated, otherwise known as Family Matters has an outstanding scholarship opportunity for students who identify as Black or African American. The Family Matters Scholarship is $1,000 was created to continue one of Alpha Kappa Alpha’s guiding principles, “to cultivate and encourage high scholastic and ethical standards and help inspiring, young black high school seniors who are leaders and agents of change in their communities. Eligibility for the scholarship are as follows:
· Identify as a Black or African-American female
· Upholds a minimum weighted GPA of 3.0 (4.0 scale)
· Will be matriculating into an accredited 4 year college/university Fall 2022
The Application window will open November 24th at 9:08am and close January 29th at 11:59pm. All applicants will receive an email before March 14th informing them whether they were selected.
- Attention Juniors and Seniors - Registration is now open for Wake Tech's Career and College Promise Program for Spring 2022. Through this program, students can take college courses for free. Please go to the Wake Tech CCP website for registration information https://www.waketech.edu/admissions-aid/career-and-college-promise
- Are you interested in becoming an innovator? The Design Lab for K-12 Education at the College of Design at NC State University is offering a series of in-person and digital Weekend Workshops this fall for high school students who might be interested in Architecture, Art + Design, and Industrial Design. The design thinking skills and creative experiences gained in these workshops can empower students on their path toward becoming innovative problem solvers and prepare them to tackle the challenges of the future! See the attached flyers for more information.
See the attached flyer for more information.
- Science Olympiad meets on Wednesdays in Room 2207 during lunch. New members are always welcome, no experience needed. Stop by if you are interested in competitions, making new friends, and exploring your love for science.
- GSA - Gender/Sexuality Alliance - Meets every Tuesday from 2:30 - 3:30 in Room 206. All are welcome.
- Girls Who Code meets Thursdays during A lunch in 2134. Virtual and in person students are welcome.
- Love Minecraft and making new friends? Join the CHS Minecraft Club and play on Cary High's very own Minecraft server! Join @impcraft on Remind and message Mr. Boyer for details!
- Don’t miss this easy and free opportunity to support the IMP Club and athletics at Cary High. Link your Harris Teeter VIC card to 1957 today. Instructions at https://tinyurl.com/y5wkwheg
- It's time to link your Harris Teeter VIC card. Tell the cashier BEFORE you check-out to enter the Cary High school code 3208 to start earning money for Cary High.
Or click here to link your VIC card online.
When you choose to support Cary High PTSA through Amazon Smile, a portion of every purchase you make benefits our staff and students. Click here to make CHS PTSA your beneficiary
Be sure to follow us on Twitter @cary_chatter, #forksupcary for more announcements. Have a great day Cary.