Applying to Driver's Education at Cary High School
January 2022 Update
Please be advised that registration for Cary High School Driver Education is closed. Due to the unfortunate situation left by the pandemic, registration forms will no longer be accepted for the 2021-2022 school year as the spring classes are full.
If you have submitted a registration form and have not been contacted, you will need to submit another registration form for a summer class. Classes will be open for summer and summer registration forms are forthcoming. If you choose to wait until fall 2022, the registration forms will be posted at a later date. Please take care to see that the registration form you submit is indicative of the time period (summer) that your son or daughter wishes to take the class. Summer forms will be identified with the term “SUMMER Registration” at the top. These registration forms are considerably different from the forms used throughout the school year. Please take note that you have the correct registration form so that I can work to offer the students their first choice whenever possible. If you go to the website and the summer registration form has not yet been posted, please be patient as we are working to get the classes open for summer and get registrations started by April.
· BTW will take place from CHS in 7 to 8 months AFTER the classroom session concludes. All school year students county-wide must be scheduled for BTW, prior to moving to summer students.
· The Cary High drivers are still scheduling May students put on BTW rosters, organized by date of birth.
· BTW will be limited to after school and Saturdays.
· Once BTW concludes, the instructor will issue a Certificate of Completion. Please review it carefully for correct spelling and all other information BEFORE you leave the lesson.
· DMV Eligibility Certificates (DEC) are issued through the student services office and can be picked up by the student or/parent. You will need to show your copy of the certificate of completion referenced above.
· PRIVATE BTW Instruction: will be self-funded and info is available or paperwork can be requested by your driving school from JDS per directions here: In-Out-Transfers
Please check the Jordan Driving School website for more information. Jordandriving.com.
Obtaining Your Driver Eligibility Certificate
The following process will allow students to receive a Driver’s Eligibility Certificate (DEC):
DECs are only valid for 30 days; therefore, students are only eligible to receive a DEC during this time if they have a confirmed appointment with the NCDMV within 30 days of the date of the request.
Step 1: Submit a request
You will start by sending an email request to Robin Beltowski (email@example.com) including the date and time of your DMV appointment. You will then receive an email confirming the date/time you can come to the high school to receive the DEC.
Once your appointment is confirmed with the high school, the following steps will be taken:
Step 2: Gather documentation
You will need to bring the following documents to your appointment.
● Student’s birth certificate or passport
● Completed Driver’s Education Certificate (if it has not been emailed ahead of time)
● Proof of address if the current address is different than the one listed on the Driver’s Education Certificate or the address listed in PowerSchool. The address must be verified for the NC Real ID.
You can also scan and email this information to Mrs. Beltowski. This will limit the amount of paper that has to be exchanged by staff and students. If you are unable to scan or take a photo of the document, then you will need to bring all of these documents with you to the appointment.
Step 3: Arriving to your appointment to receive your DEC.
Once you arrive for your appointment, a staff member will meet you at the front door of the school to process your paperwork and receive the DEC.
Staff will check the student’s grades for adequate progress. The student must have passed 70% of the courses taken in the prior semester in order to receive a DEC.
Once grades have been verified and all other documents are in place, the DEC can be issued to the student.
Visiting the DMV
Please check the NC DMV official website for hours of operation during Covid-19.
- Driver Education Certificate (from the instructor)
- Driver Eligibility Certificate (DEC form from your school)
- Original Birth Certificate (If not born in the U.S., valid passport/resident card)
- Social Security Card (unlaminated)
- Parent/Legal Guardian
- Proof of Parent/Guardian Car Insurance and Driver's License
- Proof of Residence (utility bill) along with N.C. Real ID Address Verification Form
- $ Fees
More information about obtaining a NC Learner's Permit can be found on the official DMV webpage.