Applying to Driver's Education at Cary High School
Due to COVID-19, we will be facilitating Fall classes virtually. Registration is OPEN. Please download, then fill out this form digitally. Email completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Driver's Education is offered by Jordan Driving School. Please visit their website for class schedules and other important information about driver's education and graduated licensing in North Carolina.
Obtaining Your Driver Eligibility Certificate
The following process will allow students to receive a Driver’s Eligibility Certificate (DEC) while school buildings are closed due to COVID-19.
DECs are only valid for 30 days; therefore, students are only eligible to receive a DEC during this time if they have a confirmed appointment with the NCDMV within 30 days of the date of the request.
Step 1: Submit a request
You will start by sending an email request to Jilla Peasley (email@example.com) including the date and time of your DMV appointment. You will then receive an email confirming the date/time you can come to the high school to receive the DEC.
Once your appointment is confirmed with the high school, the following steps will be taken:
Step 2: Gather documentation
You will need to bring the following documents to your appointment.
● Student’s birth certificate or passport
● Completed Driver’s Education Certificate (if it has not been emailed ahead of time)
● Proof of address if the current address is different than the one listed on the Driver’s Education Certificate or the address listed in PowerSchool. The address must be verified for the NC Real ID.
You can also scan and email this information to Mrs. Beltowski. This will limit the amount of paper that has to be exchanged by staff and students. If you are unable to scan or take a photo of the document, then you will need to bring all of these documents with you to the appointment.
Step 3: Arriving to your appointment to receive your DEC.
Once you arrive for your appointment, a staff member will meet you at the front door of the school to process your paperwork and receive the DEC.
It is important that we limit the amount of direct contact and maintain at least 6 feet of social distance. For this reason, please limit the number of family members (preferably just the student and a parent or guardian) who attend the appointment. Please arrive at the school promptly for your scheduled appointment to ensure that we can follow the social distancing guidelines that have been established.
Staff will check the student’s grades for adequate progress. The student must have passed 70% of the courses taken in the prior semester in order to receive a DEC.
Once grades have been verified and all other documents are in place, the DEC can be issued to the student.
Visiting the DMV
Please check the NC DMV official website for hours of operation during Covid-19.
- Driver Education Certificate (from the instructor)
- Driver Eligibility Certificate (DEC form from your school)
- Original Birth Certificate (If not born in the U.S., valid passport/resident card)
- Social Security Card (unlaminated)
- Parent/Legal Guardian
- Proof of Parent/Guardian Car Insurance
- Proof of Residence (utility bill) along with N.C. Real ID Address Verification Form
- $20 fee
More information about obtaining a NC Learner's Permit can be found on the official DMV webpage.