Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
As new technologies continue to change the world in which we live, they also provide many new and positive educational benefits for classroom instruction. To encourage this growth, Knightdale High School Of Collaborative Design encourages you to bring your own device (BYOD) for educational use. All personal devices should connect to the WCPSS Guest Network.
NOTE: If you have trouble getting the login page to appear on the wcpssguest network, type 220.127.116.11 in the address bar and hit enter. It should force the login page to appear.
Definition and Purpose of “Devices”
BYOD devices are privately owned, wireless and portable electronic devices that can be used for educational purposes within a classroom. BYOD devices are more than just cell phones; laptops and tablets are preferred for classroom use. Students unable to bring their own devices to school will have access to technology available at KHSCD.
Knightdale teachers are using more technology in their classrooms. While personal devices are allowed in the classroom, teachers are not responsible for the repair of any devices. Teachers are facilitators of instruction and should not spend time fixing technical issues with personal devices in the classroom. WCPSS requires that all staff have a “hands off” policy on student devices.
Security and Damages
Knightdale High School of Collaborative Design is NOT liable for any device that is stolen or damaged. Responsibility to keep the device secure rests with the individual owner. We recommend using skins (decals) and protective cases for easy identification, differentiation, and protection of personal devices. If a device is stolen or damaged, the situation will be handled through the administrative office.
Students using BYOD devices must adhere to the KHSCD Code of Conduct, as well as all WCPSS Board policies - particularly Acceptable Use Guidelines and Internet Safety.
In bringing a device to school with the intent to use it in class, you are agreeing to adhere to the following:
- Use of this BYOD policy in the classroom is at the discretion of the teacher.
- Students take full responsibility for their devices (loss, theft, damage, and acceptable use).
- Students must immediately comply with teachers' requests to shut down devices or close the screen.
- Teachers may collect devices for purposes of testing or classroom policy.
- Personal devices will not be used during state assessments.
- Students and parents are expected to respect and protect privacy of others. Students and parents are not permitted to capture, transmit, or post photographs/videos of any person on campus to public or social networking sites for personal reasons.
- Students are expected to use devices at school for educational purposes only. Devices cannot be used during class for personal use (EX: texts, calls, music, games, web sites other than assigned, etc).
- Due to infrastructure, students understand that printing from personal devices will not be possible at school.
- Students will use the guest network (search WAKE-BYOD) for network access
- Students are expected to follow the Responsible Use Guidelines stated in the KHSCD Student Code of Conduct. Any violation is unethical and may result in the loss of technology privileges at school, as well as other disciplinary action.
- School administrators have authorization to collect/examine a device if a violation of the School Code of Conduct or the WCPSS Acceptable Use Policy is suspected.
KHSCD recognizes that not all students can afford a laptop, tablet, or phone for educational use. Please consider donating your old, working devices (laptops/chromebooks, tablets, phones) to us for tax credit so that ALL students can have a device!!