Attendance - Late Arrivals/Early Dismissals/Absences
** Please note: Due to WCPSS guidelines, only essential visitors are allowed inside of the building. Also, anyone attempting to enter the building must first pass a health screening, which includes a temperature check.
Signing students in/out, as well as health screenings will be completed outside of the main entrance. **
- A student who arrives late or is dismissed early for any reason during the day will be counted absent unless the total time in school is equal to half the regular school day, or 3 & ¼ hours (keep 12:15pm in mind - if they arrive after that time or are dismissed before that time, they will be counted absent for the day.)
- If a student is tardy, he/she must check in at the main entrance for an admission slip to the classroom. To be marked as an excused tardy, a doctor’s note must be brought in with the student – otherwise, the tardy will be listed as unexcused. Tardy students disrupt the instructional program for all. Children need the morning time to prepare for the day ahead. Excessive tardies will result in a conference with the administration to see how this issue can be resolved.
- Early dismissals end at 3:15 pm. Many of our teachers spend time at the end of the day coordinating final restroom trips, summarizing the lessons taught that day, going over final questions, explaining homework, etc. Unless it is an emergency, the student will not be called from class after that time.
- Whenever possible, please schedule appointments before or after school hours or during track outs/vacation periods. If a student must be dismissed early for an appointment, please provide prior notice to the child’s teacher - either via ClassDojo, TalkingPoints, or e-mail. You may also call the front office and have a message sent to the classroom that way.
- If it is necessary for a parent to take his/her child from school during school hours, please ring the bell at the main entrance. The Receptionist will meet you at the door, view your identification, and have you fill in the sign out sheet. After those steps are completed, then your student(s) will be called up from their classroom(s). Please do not call ahead and ask for your child to be in the office waiting. If the student returns to school that same day, he/she should report to the office for readmission.
- When your child is absent, you should notify their teacher, or the front office. On the day they return, you must send a written excuse to the school which includes the following information: Your child’s name, Dates of absence, Specific cause of absence, Your signature and daytime phone number.
- Any child who has been absent from school for 7 or more days will be notified in writing. Any child that accumulates at least twenty-five absences will be granted an attendance hearing to take place in May of each school year.
8. If you would like to take your child out of school for religious or educational reasons, you must fill out a “Request for Excused Absence” form. This request will require the approval of the principal. These forms may also be obtained from the school office and must be filled out at least two weeks in advance of the scheduled absence. Family trips will not be considered excused absences, in light of the attendance standards required from the federal legislation of “No Child Left Behind.” The standard is 95% attendance for students enrolled in a school. Knowing this, you may still choose to take your child(ren) out of school for these events.