About Our School
Mt. Vernon is a Traditional WCPSS Calendar School with three programs on campus, each designed to address a variety of student needs. Below is a brief description of each program. For more detailed descriptions, please use the menu on the left or click the section headings.
Our largest program serves students who are not experiencing adequate success at their base middle school. Students referred to Mt. Vernon meet the following criteria:
- Student is failing, or at-risk of failing, most/all core classes
- Student is able to be redirected by teachers and administrators, but may be easily distracted or off-task
- Student has demonstrated a history of building positive relationships with teachers in the referring school
- When discipline issues occur, they are most frequently observed in larger, less structured times of the school day or areas of the campus
- Student has no history of severe or aggressive acting out
- Student has limited access to additional support services within the referring school
- Student demonstrates a relatively consistent pattern of attending school
- Student has demonstrated a positive response to smaller environments (if available) in the referring school
Our middle school program emphasizes strengthening basic academic skills. Academic remediation is available for students in the areas of Math and Reading.
The Booster program is an acceleration program designed to provide over age, proficient students with an opportunity to complete 8th grade in one semester. These students then enter high school and are provided follow-up services throughout their high school careers.
The Bridges program serves students in Kindergarten through 5th grade.