Mt. Vernon Middle School
Our largest program serves at-risk middle school students who are not experiencing adequate success in their base schools. Students referred to Mt. Vernon meet the following criteria:
- Student is failing, or at-risk of failing, most/all core classes
- Student is able to be redirected by teachers and administrators, but may be easily distracted or off-task
- Student has demonstrated a history of building positive relationships with teachers in the referring school
- When discipline issues occur, they are most frequently observed in larger, less structured times of the school day or areas of the campus
- Student has no history of severe or aggressive acting out
- Student has limited access to additional support services within the referring school
- Student demonstrates a relatively consistent pattern of attending school
- Student has demonstrated a positive response to smaller environments (if available) in the referring school
Our middle school program emphasizes strengthening basic academic skills. Academic remediation is available for students in the areas of Math and Reading.
- 10:1 Student to Teacher Ratio
- Full Time Counselor & Social Worker
- Core Instruction, PE, FACS, and Reading/Math Enrichment
- Student and Family Nights
- Uniform Dress Code
- Student placement is for the remainder of the school year
Mt. Vernon at a Glance
Below are one page documents that give a brief overview of Mt. Vernon Middle.
For more information and to make a referral to the traditional program, click here.