Students meeting qualifying criteria in grades K‐7 can take advanced academic content in mathematics or English Language Arts through Single Subject Acceleration (SSA). This ensures opportunities for appropriate levels of academic challenge. Only students who are currently enrolled and attending a WCPSS school during the open nomination and testing window are eligible to be considered for SSA.
Does My Child Qualify?
SSA allows students to show mastery of content in select elementary or middle school courses. Students who prove mastery do not have to take the course and may move on to the next level.
Parents or guardians may nominate their child to skip a grade level of content in either English Language Arts or mathematics.
Students will be assessed at their school based upon grade level. Depending on grade level and subject, this could include a multiple-choice test and/or a writing sample. Your school will have more specific information about this process once your child is nominated.
**Click HERE for more information**
Assessment Requests, Testing Windows
You must submit an SSA assessment request form to your school during its specific calendar deadlines.
Deadlines for requesting an assessment for the 2020-21 school year are as follows:
- For Leadership Academies, Modified Calendar and Year-Round Track 1 Schools: Feb. 24-28
- For Barwell, Fox Road and Walnut Creek Elementary Schools: March 16-20
- For Traditional Calendar Schools as well as Year-Round Tracks 2, 3 and 4: March 23-27
Contact your child's school to obtain an assessment request form.
Testing Windows are as follows:
- For Leadership Academies: April 6-21
- For Modified Calendar Schools: April 1-15
- Year-Round Tracks 1-3: April 13-23
- Traditional Calendar: April 20-30
- Year-Round Track 4: April 28-May 8
- Barwell, Fox Road and Walnut Creek Elementary: May 11-27