October @ HARES: Just Say "No!" to Bullies & Drugs
October is Bullying Prevention Month. Red Ribbon Week, a week of awareness to prevent drug abuse, also is observed during the month. Herbert Akins Road Elementary engages in several activities to support these programs:
- Students learn what bullying is and how to respond safely and productively during HARES Morning News broadcasts.
- Students and staff are asked to wear blue shirts on World Bullying Prevention Day (usually the first Monday in October) to take their stand against bullying.
- On Unity Day for Bullying Prevention later in the month staff and students are asked to wear an orange shirt.
- In past years, the PTA has sponsored cultural arts programming with an anti-bullying theme.
- Students add their name to an anti-drug pledge display and wear various red items of clothing during Red Ribbon week.
- Many activities also occur in the classrooms, including technology lessons on how to be an upstander in response to cyberbullying.
Please help HARES promote a bully-free and drug-free school by talking with your children about this month’s topics. One way to do that would be to tie your discussions in with respect which is October's character trait. Watch the Hawk News feed on our homepage for specific activity dates and information.