Trailblazer Times 7/27/22- Welcome to the 22/23 school year!
WELCOME TO THE 22-22 school year, Trailblazers! The first day of school is FRIDAY, JULY 29th!
Mark your calendar- Meet the teacher is TONIGHT from 4:30-6:00! (Wednesday, July 27th)
On Wednesday, July 27th, we will host "Meet the Teacher" for the 22-23 school year. This is for all students in grades 1-5. This is an informal/free-flowing meeting where you and your child can drop in, say hello, drop off school supplies, and see the classroom. See you soon!
22-23 supply lists are available on the Banks Road website
Linked here- SUPPLY LISTS
Increase to school lunch prices for the 22-23 school year- apply for free or reduced lunch benefits
The federal funding due to the pandemic that provided free meals to students ended on June 30, 2022. In order to receive free or reduced-price meals for this school year, families need to submit a meal benefits application. All families must complete an application for the 2022-2023 school year starting July 1 in order to receive benefits. Please allow 10 business days for processing. For every student that turns in the free and reduced meals application and qualifies, the school also receives federal funds that benefit the students and teachers at the school. We need you to complete a 2022-2023 meal benefits application so our school can be eligible for extra funding next year. If you have not completed a free or reduced-price meal application and think your child may be eligible, pick up an application at your child’s school or apply online at https://www.myschoolapps.com/. Paper applications can also be requested by caing 919-588-3535 or 919-856-2920 or emailing email@example.com.
K-5 Breakfast $1.50 and lunch $3.00
6-12 Breakfast $1.75 and lunch $3.25
Snacks are once again available for purchase at an additional cost. Limit one snack per child, per day.
We are excited to welcome volunteers back this school year! You will need to apply to be a volunteer and can do so anytime during the school day. We will host a volunteer information meeting in August and parents can start volunteering in September.
All visitors must check into the main office and wear a visitor sticker. throughout the duration of their visit. Family members are welcome to visit for lunch, however we are restructuring this process and we ask that you wait until we share more details before coming for lunch. We will have the process ready to go by September!
WCPSS & Banks Road Elementary Transportation Guidelines
Banks Road Elementary is committed to providing safe transportation for all of our students. Please read the methods and procedures of transportation below:
All bus riders will receive a red (K-1) or yellow (2-5) bus tag for their backpacks. Parents should have received an email from WCPSS last week about bus routes and approximate times. Students must ride the bus they are assigned per Board Policy 7125/Section F. Please click here- WCPSS transportation for more information.
Bus safety is everyone’s responsibility. All students will participate in a bus evacuation drill during the first week of school. Please review the following bus safety rules with your student(s):
1. Show respect for the driver at all times.
2. Enter and leave the bus without pushing or crowding.
3. Be seated at all times while the bus is in motion.
4. Talk using a quiet tone of voice and without profane or abusive language. Do not yell out of the windows.
5. Keep the bus clean and avoid littering.
6. Refrain from consuming food or beverages on the bus.
7. Remain in your seat without placing any part of your body out of the window, without climbing or jumping over seats, and without throwing objects.
8. Refrain from horse playing or aggressive behaviors on the bus.
Our carpool system is designed to offer safe and efficient arrival and dismissal of students who come daily in private vehicles. Safety is our primary concern, not speed. Please be patient and do not pull around cars unless directed to do so by a staff member.
* Each participating family must communicate their intentions of carpool usage to BRES. Afterwards your family will be issued a carpool number. There is one number per family. New tags will be available at Meet the Teacher in the Media Center.
* Families re-use the same number from year to year. Tags are to be returned to the BRES front office if you change schools, move or wish to no longer carpool.
* If you do not have a carpool number displayed, you will be asked to present ID.
* All carpool students must be dropped off and picked up at the side carpool loop. For safety, NO students are to be dropped off in parking lots or in the bus loop in front of the school.
* Please be sure your children know how to fasten and unfasten the seatbelt/car seat so they can enter and exit the car quickly. Please have children seated on the right side of the vehicle. If you need to pull over and buckle in your child, please use the "buckle bay" parking spots to do so.
* Please have your children gather their belongings prior to getting out of the car.
* Give all hugs, kisses, and reminders prior to unloading.
* DO NOT pass stopped cars in the carpool loop unless directed to do so.
* Please DO NOT talk or text on cell phones as you pull into the loading area. This jeopardizes the safety of students, staff, and other parents in the loading zone.
Morning Carool Procedures
* 8:45 AM – 9:15 AM (this ensures that students will not be late for class that begins at 9:15 AM)
* DO NOT DROP OFF CHILDREN PRIOR TO THE APPEARANCE OF THE ADULT SUPERVISORS.
* Pull up in line as far as possible. Do not leave large gaps in the line.
* Do not pull out of line to attempt to exit the line before cars in front of you move forward. This is very dangerous as students could unload from both sides of cars.
Afternoon Carpool Procedures
* Cars should line up single file in the order of arrival. Do not leave cars unattended in the carpool line.
* Your carpool number must be prominently displayed in your front window. If someone other than you is picking up your child, they MUST have that number.
* As cars arrive at the school they need to go to the END of the carpool line.
* School personnel will walk down the line of cars to enter your carpool number into the system.
* Students are expected to be picked up by 4:15 PM.
* Students not picked up on time must be signed out in the office, for safety and documentation purposes. Families who are chronically late will be required to use the bus as a mode of transportation or secure an after-school daycare provider.
Teachers will document each student's normal mode of transportation (bus/carpool/van rider/walker/biker) at the start of the school year. Changes to this method of transportation must be made in writing and in the form of a note or email to the student's teacher. In addition, we recognize that emergencies occasionally arise during the school day which necessitates a change to a student's mode of transportation. In this exceptional instance, a change may be made via phone call to the front office prior to 3:30 p.m. For safety reasons, the sooner we are notified the better.
YMCA before/after school care
We look forward to a wonderful year of blazing a trail to success together!
Sarah Simmons, Principal
¡BIENVENIDOS AL AÑO ESCOLAR 22-22, Trailblazers! ¡El primer día de clases es el VIERNES 29 DE JULIO!
Marque su calendario- ¡Conocer al maestro es ESTA NOCHE de 4:30-6:00! (miércoles 27 de julio)
El miércoles 27 de julio, presentaremos "Conozca al maestro" para el año escolar 22-23. Esto es para todos los estudiantes en los grados 1-5. Esta es una reunión informal/fluida donde usted y su hijo pueden pasar, saludar, dejar útiles escolares y ver el salón de clases. ¡Te veo pronto!
Las listas de suministros 22-23 están disponibles en el sitio web de Banks Road
Vinculado aquí- LISTAS DE SUMINISTROS
Aumento de los precios del almuerzo escolar para el año escolar 22-23: solicite los beneficios de almuerzo gratis o reducido
Los fondos federales debido a la pandemia que proporcionaban comidas gratis a los estudiantes finalizaron el 30 de junio de 2022. Para recibir comidas gratis o a precio reducido para este año escolar, las familias deben presentar una solicitud de beneficios de comidas. Todas las familias deben completar una solicitud para el año escolar 2022-2023 a partir del 1 de julio para recibir los beneficios. Espere 10 días hábiles para el procesamiento. Por cada estudiante que entregue la solicitud de comidas gratis oa precio reducido y califique, la escuela también recibe fondos federales que benefician a los estudiantes y maestros de la escuela. Necesitamos que complete una solicitud de beneficios de comidas 2022-2023 para que nuestra escuela pueda ser elegible para recibir fondos adicionales el próximo año. Si no ha completado una solicitud de comida gratis o a precio reducido y cree que su hijo puede ser elegible, recoja una solicitud en la escuela de su hijo o solicite en línea en https://www.myschoolapps.com/ . Las solicitudes en papel también se pueden solicitar llamando al 919-588-3535 o al 919-856-2920 o enviando un correo electrónico firstname.lastname@example.org .
K-5 Desayuno $1.50 y almuerzo $3.00
6-12 Desayuno $1.75 y almuerzo $3.25
Los refrigerios están nuevamente disponibles para su compra a un costo adicional. Limite un refrigerio por niño, por día.
¡Estamos emocionados de dar la bienvenida a los voluntarios este año escolar! Deberá presentar una solicitud para ser voluntario y puede hacerlo en cualquier momento durante el día escolar. Organizaremos una reunión de información para voluntarios en agosto y los padres pueden comenzar a ser voluntarios en septiembre.
Todos los visitantes deben registrarse en la oficina principal y usar una calcomanía de visitante. a lo largo de la duración de su visita. Los miembros de la familia pueden visitarnos para almorzar; sin embargo, estamos reestructurando este proceso y le pedimos que espere hasta que compartamos más detalles antes de venir a almorzar. ¡Tendremos el proceso listo para septiembre!