School ProfileBanks Road Elementary is a warm and nurturing school where the focus is truly on the learning and teaching process. BRES students are actively engaged in a 21st century learning environment. Our teachers plan and implement meaningful learning activities to provide students with multiple opportunities to practice and master the knowledge, skills and dispositions required to be successful in an ever-changing society. Embedded into daily practices are high expectations for academic work and personal conduct harnessing the leadership potential of every student.
Technology is integrated into all areas of our curriculum. Teachers routinely embed technology into classroom instruction and students consistently have access to IPads, IPods, SMART Boards, and other wireless technologies.
BRES follows the North Carolina Standard Course of Study for Core Curriculum. Our focus on student achievement has allowed us to develop and implement a direct and explicit learning time focused on meeting the needs of each student called Team Time. This dedicated time for learning and teaching allows for differentiated instruction to enrich or remediate students based on academic needs. BRES is proud to have made High Growth with students and has earned the status of a School of Progress since opening in 2009.
In addition to core subjects, we offer a variety of extra-curricular activities. These include: a student-led Art Gallery, the 4th and 5th grade choral ensemble that performs throughout the school year both on and off campus, Safety Patrol, and an in-house news broadcast. BRES also offers fee-based YMCA Program for before and after school child care needs.
BRES administration and staff believe that parents and community members play a vital role in student success. The Parent Teacher Association at BRES is at the heart of many great family opportunities here on campus. Our strong and active PTA works diligently to host special events such as Family Fitness Night, Literacy Night, Spring Carnival, Moonlight Reading Night, our annual Fun Run and much more. All of these activities are a wonderful way for families to spend time together in a safe and positive learning environment. We welcome and encourage all parents to become involved in their child's education by joining our PTA and by volunteering.
We invite you to visit our website and tour our school to see why Banks Road students Blaze a Trail to Success!
Tracy Purvis, Principal
Brett Smith, AssistantPrincipal
Mr. Smith graduated from Appalachian State University in 2002 with a degree in Mathematics, Secondary Education. He started his career teaching math at Crest High School in Shelby, NC and Cary High School in Cary, NC. After graduating from Campbell University in 2011, Mr. Smith transitioned to the role of Intervention Coordinator and Summer School Coordinator at Cary High School for three years. He later transitioned to the role of an Assistant Principal at Cary High School in March 2015. Mr. Smith is excited to embark on this journey with the Trailblazer family. Since starting here the end of May in 2017, he has enjoyed seeing the staff caring for the students, the students loving learning, and parents that enjoy supporting both their students and the staff. Banks Road Elementary School is truly a special place to be.
Mission:Wake County Public School System will provide a relevant and engaging education and will graduate students who are collaborative, creative, effective communicators and critical thinkers.
Vision:All Banks Road Elementary students will be prepared to reach their full potential through continuous learning and personal growth.
1. Every student is uniquely capable and deserves to be challenged and engaged in relevant, rigorous, and meaningful learning every day
2. Every student is expected to learn, grow, and succeed while we will eliminate the ability to predict achievement based on socioeconomic status, race, and ethnicity.
3. Well-supported, highly effective, and dedicated principals, teachers, and staff are essential to success for all students.
4. The Board of Education, Superintendent, and all staff, while sustaining best practices, will promote and support a culture of continuous improvement, risk-taking, and innovation that results in a high-performing organization focused on student achievement.
5. The Board of Education, Superintendent, and all staff value a diverse school community that is inviting, respectful, inclusive, flexible, and supportive.
6. The Wake County residents value a strong public school system and will partner to provide the support and resources to fully realize our shared vision, accomplish the mission, and sustain our core beliefs.
- Staff will honor a growth mindset and use research-based best practices to cultivate high student growth;
- Students will practice collaborating, communicating, creative problem solving, and thinking critically in a safe environment; and
- Community partnerships will be nurtured so that students and staff are supported in reaching their full potential.