Principal's Message 7.15.19
Greetings Parents, this is Dr. Tracy Purvis, Principal of Banks Road Elementary School, with the latest news and events for the coming weeks.
It's hard to believe we have completed our first week of school for Tracks 1, 2, and 3 for the 2019 -2020 School Year! Your children have come back ready to learn and we are excited about what the new school year holds for them. We can't wait to see all the growth they will make by the end of the school year!
For the week of July 15th:
Monday, July 15th: Kindergarten Meet the Teacher for Tracks 1, 2, and 3 from 4:30pm – 6:00pm
For the week of July 22nd:
- Wednesday, July 23rd: Beginning of Grade (BOG) Reading Test for 3rd Grade Begins
- Friday, July 26th: Ident-A-Kid Program (Additional information will be sent via students.)
- Friday, July 26th: PTA Back to School Blast 5:30pm – 7:30pm. PTA Meeting at 7:00pm.
KINDERGARTEN STAGGERED ENTRY:
Tracks 1, 2, and 3 will have Kindergarten Meet the Teacher will be on Monday, July 15, 2019 from 4:30pm – 6:00pm. This is a drop-in style event where your child will get a chance to see his/her classroom and meet his/her teacher. Your child’s first day of Kindergarten with his/her assigned teacher will be Tuesday, July 16, 2019.
Track 4 will have Kindergarten Staggered Entry from Monday, July 29, 2019 to Thursday, August 1, 2019. Meet the Teacher will be held on Friday, August 2, 2019. First day of Kindergarten with assigned teacher will be Monday, August 5, 2019.
Parents were notified of their assigned staggered entry date via mail.
BEGINNING OF GRADE (BOG) READING for 3rd GRADE:
The testing window for Track 1, Track 2, and Track 3 opens on Tuesday, July 23, 2019. Third grade students will be tested in the area of reading.
The Ident-A-Kid program will be on campus to create student identification cards. Additional information will be sent home this week for parents via students.
BACK TO SCHOOL BLAST:
Save the Date! The PTA will sponsor a Back to School Blast on Friday, July 26, 2019 from 5:30pm – 7:30 pm. The General PTA Meeting will occur at 7:00pm in the Courtyard. All parents and students are invited to attend for an evening of fun!
2019 FUN RUN:
The PTA is bringing back the Fun Run! This will be the biggest fundraiser of the year. It is scheduled for mid-August. All tracks will be able to participate. Look for additional information to be shared by the PTA.
2019 – 2020 BREAKFAST AND LUNCH PRICES:
Breakfast - $1.25
Lunch - $2.75
For the safety of all, parents should:
- Be alert to the directions of carpool staff
- Refrain from cell phone use
- NEVER pull around a car who is loading or unloading children
Students may begin entering the building at 8:45 am. The carpool drop-off zone is the sidewalk on the west side of the building. Cars should use a single lane to the right and children should exit the car from the passenger side. Please pull all the way forward so that as many cars as possible can unload at a time. Staff members are on the sidewalk to provide directions, supervisions, and assistance when needed. Students arriving after 9:10 should be walked in by a parent to be signed-in and will be considered tardy.
Dismissal begins at 3:45. Hang your carpool tag from your rearview mirror with the number facing forward and leave it visible until your child is in the car. Cars will line-up in both lanes and will wait at the stop line at the parking lot u-turn until directed by carpool staff to move forward. Children should load from the passenger side. If you need to provide assistance with buckling, please pull forward and to the left so the next group can pull forward.
New families will receive 2 new plastic carpool tags at the beginning of school each year. Returning families will be able to continue to use the plastic carpool tag previously assigned. New colored laminated tags will be given to families for additional identified family members listed on the student locator cards to pick up students. If you need a replacement, please see the receptionist. If you do not have a tag; then you will be asked to show your ID for verification of student pickup.
BUS TRANSPORTATION REMINDERS:
Pick-Up and Drop-Off
- In the mornings, students should be ready for the bus at least 10 minutes before the bus is expected to arrive.
- In the afternoon, drivers will discharge Pre-K, Kindergarten, and First Grade students only when a responsible person is present to pick them up. Drop-off times in the afternoon could vary depending on whether or not other students assigned to ride that vehicle may be absent that day. If no one is present, the child will be returned to the school or district office.
- Items carried on the bus should fit on the student's lap. Projects or other objects cannot take up seating space or block the aisle.
- Students may get on and off only at their assigned stops. They cannot ride home with friends.For students needing assistance, it is your responsibility to help your child from your residence to the vehicle or from the vehicle to your residence.
If you have any questions, please call the Front Desk at 919-890-7333.
Thank you for your continued support of Banks Road ES and each of our Trailblazers as they blaze their individual trails of success.