Principal's Message 4.22.19
Greetings, this is Dr. Tracy Purvis, Principal of Banks Road, with the announcements for the coming weeks.
For the week of April 22nd:
- Monday, April 22nd: Garden Club at 8am
- Monday, April 22nd: Track 4 Tracks In
- Tuesday, April 23rd: Boomers and Robotics at 8am
- Thursday, April 25th: Boomers and Robotics at 8am
- Thursday, April 25th: 1st Grade Track 2 and Track 4 Marbles Museum Field Trip
- Friday, April 26th: Track 2 and Track 4 School Musical for Grades K – 2 at 9:30am and Grades 3 – 5 at 10:45am
- Friday, April 26th: Pre-K Family Partnership Day
For the week of April 29th:
- Monday, April 29th: Garden Club at 8am
- Tuesday, April 30th: Boomers at 8am
- Tuesday, April 30th: Track 1 and Track 4 Spring Pictures and Class Pictures
- Thursday, May 2nd: Boomers at 8am
- Friday, May 3rd: Book Club at 8am
- Friday, May 3rd: 2nd Grade Track 1 and Track 4 Historic Oak View Field Trip
WCPSS & PANORAMA EDUCATION PARENT SURVEY:
Wake County Public Schools launched a districtwide family survey to learn more about you and your child’s experiences in our schools. The survey should take approximately 10-15 minutes to complete. The survey window is open until Friday, May 3, 2019. Please take this opportunity to share your experiences with the district. Please use the link below if you have not received an email from the district already. Thank you to all the parents who have already completed the survey.
SINGLE SUBJECT ACCELERATION:
The Wake County Public School System (WCPSS) Board of Education defines acceleration as allowing a student to move through traditional educational organizations more rapidly, based on readiness and motivation. Single Subject Acceleration (SSA) is the practice of assigning a student to a higher-grade level than is typical, given the student’s age, for the purpose of providing access to appropriately challenging learning opportunities in either math or English/language arts. SSA is an accelerative practice that allows students to show mastery of content of select elementary or middle school courses without having taken the course.
During specified nomination windows, parents or teachers can nominate students to skip a grade level of content in either English Language Arts OR Mathematics. Students may only be nominated and assessed for SSA in ONE subject area.
Mark your calendars, as nominations will only be received by your child's school during the open Nomination Window for your child's calendar. Nomination Windows officially close at the end of the school day for each designated window. Please see the link below for additional information and important dates.
BRES STUDENT COUNCIL PRESENTS ‘LEAPING INTO LITERACY’:
National Volunteer Service Week was Monday, April 8, 2019 to Friday, April 12, 2019. Track 4 will have the opportunity to participate on Monday, April 22, 2019 through Friday, April 26, 2019. Our school is participating by helping to make sure that every student at Banks Road Elementary has reading/writing kits they need to continue learning through track outs. It’s easy to help! All you have to do is bring in items on the literacy kit needs list! It’s up to you! Please pitch in to help next week! Look for donation boxes in the main hallway.
Literacy Kit Contents Needed:
- Composition Books
- Solo Plates
- Dry Erase Markers
- Pencil Sharpeners
- Glue Sticks
- Index Cards
- 2 Gallon Ziploc Bags
- Kits will also include Letterland Tricky Words, mClass Question Stem Bookmarks, and a library card application. Please help us help our families in need.
What starts here changes everything!
ANNUAL MUSIC IN SCHOOLS PERFORMANCE:
Our theme this year is “It’s Our World”. Students are studying multicultural music and how to take care of our earth. Performance dates and times are below.
Track 2 and Track 4 – April 26, 2019
Kindergarten, First, and Second Grade Performance – 9:30am
Third, Fourth, and Fifth Grade Performance – 10:45am
LETTERLAND DAY – Saturday, April 27th:
Raleigh’s Pullen Park will be transformed into Letterland on Saturday, April 27, 2019 from 10 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. to celebrate preschool and elementary school students in Wake County. Parking and admission to the park are FREE (rides are $1.50). Park in Pullen Park parking lots, with overflow parking at the Reynolds Parking Deck on Jenson Drive.
END OF GRADE (EOG) TESTING DATES for 3rd, 4th, and 5th GRADES:
Track 1 EOG Dates:
- Tuesday, May 21, 2019 – ELA Grades 3-5
- Wednesday, May 22, 2019 – Math Grades 3-5
- Thursday, May 23, 2019 – Science Grade 5
- Tuesday, May 28, 2019 – Grade 3 Read to Achieve (RtA)
Track 2, Track 3, and Track 4 EOG Dates:
- Monday, June 17, 2019 – ELA Grades 3-5
- Tuesday, June 18, 2019 – Math Grades 3-5
- Wednesday, June 19, 2019 – Science Grade 5
- Monday, June 24, 2019 – Track 2, Track 3, and Track 4 Grade 3 Read to Achieve (RtA) and Track 1 Post Camp RtA Assessment
Please notify the school if you nominate any staff member for NC School Heroes. We want to make sure the information is shared with all families. Thank you in advance for recognizing our staff!
BANKS ROAD’S GOT TALENT SHOW AND ARTS’ NIGHT:
Banks Road Arts’ Night and Talent Show will be held on Friday, May 10th.
PTA SAVE THE DATE:
Please save the date for the next General PTA Meeting to be held on Friday, May 10, 2019. Additional information will be shared as soon as it is available from the PTA.
PTA – 2019-2020:
If you are interested in volunteering for the PTA next year, then please use the link below to indicate your interest. Thank you.
2019-2020 KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION and ORIENTATION:
Welcome Class of 2032! All kindergarten students and rising kindergartners can now register online!
Visit https://www.wcpss.net/Domain/56 for more information.
Banks Road Elementary School will have our 2019 -2020 Kindergarten Orientation for parents on Thursday, May 16, 2019 from 6:00pm – 7:30pm. We look forward to meeting all our New Trailblazer Families!
If you have any questions, please call the Front Desk at 919-890-7333.
Our Trailblazers continue to blaze their individual trails for success! Join us in celebrating their many accomplishments.