Our Vision Statement
We will do whatever it takes to transition students with social-emotional reslience and strengthened academics.
- Assessment/Intervention program
- Comprehensive evaluation (educational, behavioral/emotional) when appropriate
- Structured behavior management and feedback system
- Academic instruction based on individual needs and abilities
- Daily student/staff group meetings for planning, evaluation, and problem solving
- Support for student and staff as students transition back to a less restrictive setting
- Focus on strong liaison with community services
- Development of interventions and plans to facilitate student success
Description of Program
- Component of Wake County Public School System
- Located in a wing of Mt. Vernon School
- Student hours – 8:00 a.m. to 2:55 p.m.
- Breakfast – All of our students receive a free breakfast.
- Lunch - All of our students receive a free lunch.
- Transportation provided
- Students experiencing academic, emotional and behavioral difficulties that are interfering with school success
- Students' difficulties may include academic, family, behavioral, social, neurological, and thought/mood disorders
- Elementary students, 1st - 5th
The goal is to determine an appropriate educational setting for each student. BRIDGES supports a student's transition by working directly with students and by supporting the student once he is placed in a less restrictive educational setting.
Referral to BRIDGES
All referrals to BRIDGES initiate at the school level. Individual families are not able to refer students.
BRIDGES is a public separate school program and the vast majority of our referrals are for students who are already receiving special education services. All referrals for special education students will be first screened through your school's special education behavior specialist. Please speak with him/her about a potential referral.
If you are considering referring a regular education student, please contact Lisa Cruz, Director, at (919) 233-4046.
If your special education behavior specialist approves a referral, it will be scheduled for the next available referral meeting slot. Referral meetings are held on select Tuesday afternoons. Therefore, in order to be considered for a Tuesday afternoon referral meeting, all required components of the referral paperwork must be submitted in order to be scheduled. All referral materials are due to BRIDGES one week prior to the referral meeting date. Referral Meeting dates for the 2021-2022 school year are provided below.
Referral Meeting Dates:
July 13, July 27
Sept. 16, Sept. 30
Oct. 14, Oct. 28
Nov. 4, Nov. 18
Dec. 2, Dec. 16
Jan 6, Jan. 20
Feb. 3, Feb. 17
Mar. 3, Mar. 31