OverviewAt WECIB, we believe every student should be in class every day possible to maximize the learning experience. We use a 4 x 4 block schedule, which means that if a student has missed five days of class in a course, that is the equivalent of two weeks of instruction. Parents will receive a call through School Messenger if their child is absent.
Excused AbsencesAbsences can be excused for the following reasons:
- Illness or injury
- Death in the family
- Health care appointments (with a note from the health care provider)
- Court appearances
- Religious observance
- Natural disasters
Please provide a note/email within 2 days of your child's absence or it will be recorded as unexcused. Please send all attendance notes to email@example.com.
Excused Absence for Educational Reasons
- Parents are called by PowerSchool each time a student misses a class.
- When returning to school after an absence, students must bring notes from parents or guardians to the main office.
- Absence notes should include the student’s full name, student id#, the date(s) of the absence(s), the reason for the absence(s), valid telephone numbers, and a parent/guardian signature.
- Students have two school days to bring a note after an absence. If a student does not bring a note within two days of returning to school, the absence will be marked unexcused (6000.4).
Checking Out of School
- Students cannot leave campus during the school day without permission from parents or guardians and school administration. Teachers cannot give students permission to leave campus for any reason. Students who are dismissed early for internships, modified schedule, etc. will be required to check out before leaving campus.
- No student is to leave school for any reason during the school day without checking out through the main office. Leaving school for any reason without checking out through the Main Office will be considered as an unexcused absence or skipping, even if the student returns with a note from a parent or guardian the next day.
- Students over 16 who drive to school and need to check out early must bring a note from a parent/guardian between 7:00 – 7:20 a.m. to the Office (date, time, parent signature, valid telephone number(s) and reason for leaving). Notes will be verified by calling the parent phone number listed in Power School. The student will be issued a release slip to show to teachers. They will be released from class and should go directly to their vehicle and leave campus.
- If a parent/guardian needs to check out a student during the day, the parent must come to the main office on the second floor to check the student out. You will be asked to provide a reason for checking out (e.g., appointment, etc), your student’s name, and your name. Parents will be asked for ID.
- Students who check out for dental or doctor appointments or court/DMV appointments must bring proof of the appointment to the Office when returning to school or a picture of the note may be emailed to 587-ATTENDANCE@WCPSS.NET. If emailing the note, please include the student’s name in the subject line of the email. Failure to bring proof will result in an unexcused absence.
Arrival/Departure of Students
Students should not arrive on campus before 6:50am unless they have made prior arrangements with a faculty member. Students must leave campus by 2:15pm unless they are participating in a school-sponsored activity or are under the direction of a faculty member.