Attendance and Absences
Attendance at school is important to a child’s achievement and success in school. We encourage regular attendance of your child at school.
When your child is absent from school, please let your child’s teacher know as soon as you can. In addition, a written note from the parent is required within 2 days of the student’s return to school. The note should include: the student’s first and last name, the date(s) missed, the reason(s) for the absence(s), parent/guardian signature, and work and home phone numbers for verification. According to Wake County School Board Policy, the absence must be for one of the following reasons:
- Illness or injury
- Quarantine of the child by the State Board of Health
- Death of an immediate family member
- Medical or dental appointments
- Court proceeding (if the student is a party to the action or under subpoena as a witness)
- Religious observance
- Educational opportunity with prior approval by the principal (Parents should request approval at least 5 days in advance by completing Form 1710, which is available in the school office.) In addition, students can complete an “Educational Excuse Project” in which students will document their educational opportunity to show connections with the curriculum standards. If completed, students can earn “excused” days. For more details, contact the data manager.
All other absences will be considered unexcused. Students who are frequently absent will be referred to the school social worker and/or school nurse if necessary to help with problems that interfere with children’s attendance. Family trips will be considered unexcused absences. Students will be given the opportunity to make up work missed due to the absences. For more information, please review the Board of Education policy on attendance in the Wake County Public Schools Handbook.
Holly Grove Elementary School will have an attendance committee to monitor student attendance and will intervene with appropriate action when attendance and/or tardies become excessive.
This committee will:
- Educate parents and staff of the attendance and tardy policies and procedures of WCPSS and Holly Grove Elementary School.
- Inform parents of their child’s attendance at set intervals.
- Help to educate parents and students of the importance of regular school attendance in order to show the connection between regular attendance and school success.
- Include the following people: Student Information Data Manager, School Counselor, School Social Worker and an Administrator.
- Meet at the beginning of the school year and monthly to review attendance data.
Plan of Action:
3 Unexcused Absences: Letter will be sent home with an attendance profile attached. Letter signed by an Administrator.
6 Unexcused Absences: Letter (form 1700) will be mailed home with attendance profile attached. Letter will be signed by an Administrator.
10 Excused and/or Unexcused Absences: Letter will be mailed home with attendance profile attached. Letter signed by an Administrator. Attendance committee will review information to determine if a referral is needed to appropriate staff member (School Nurse, School Counselor, School Social Worker, Administrator) for follow up with the family.
15 Unexcused Absences: School Social Worker will make a referral to the Truancy Diversion and Intervention Program (TDIP) through the court system.