Dear Wilburn Families,
On behalf of the staff at Wilburn Elementary School, I am thrilled to welcome you to the 2016-2017 school year. We are looking forward to continuing a productive partnership with you. It is our goal to ensure that every child achieves at their highest potential. We understand that it takes a strong home and school partnership to achieve this goal and make a difference in your child’s education.
During these past few weeks, I have had many interactions with parents, teachers and students. From these conversations, it is clear that there is a collegial partnership between all stakeholders to provide the best possible academic experience for our students. I look forward to fostering these relationships and working with teachers and staff to provide a world-class educational experience for each child.
Along with teachers and staff, I work hard to build strong relationships with parents, students and community partners. We will focus on Common Core, character education, use of data to drive instruction, direct instructional strategies to improve core instruction and increase student achievement, and providing enrichment activities for students.
This year is going to be “adventurous” as we provide academic experiences for our students that are rigorous, relevant and builds relationships. As your Principal, it is important to me that everyone who steps through our doors (teachers, students, parents, volunteers and the like) are excited to be here. This attitude enables us to meet the challenges of academic excellence and meet the needs of the WHOLE child in a positive, fun, nurturing environment. My door is always open and I welcome your input. Please feel free, to call, email or stop by the office to discuss any concerns, suggestions or ideas to make this the best year ever. Ways to Support your child’s learning:
- Ensuring they are in school daily and arrive on time ready for the day’s learning experience
- Reading daily to develop a love for literacy and help increase comprehension skills
- Completing all homework assignments
- Attending family conferences and communicate regularly with your child’s teacher
- Informing your child’s teacher or school personnel if your child needs additional support
- Sharing school experiences during and after school
- Encouraging your child daily and communicating your expectations for them to succeed in school
Please consider registering to become a volunteer and get involved in school activities. Volunteers must register at the school through our county database. All volunteers must have criminal background check and it takes about two weeks to complete, so you must register as soon as possible. This year we are recruiting a “Room Parent” for each classroom. If you are interested in volunteering for this position, please inform your child’s teacher.
I feel truly blessed to be the Instructional Leader of such of awesome school community. #TEAMWILBURN
- Meet the Teacher Saturday, July 30th 10:00-12:30
- First day of school August 1st
- Curriculum Night and Ice Cream Social 6pm-8pm
- August 19th Early Release @ 1:15
- August 31st Interim Reports go home
- September 5th Holiday
- September 9th Early Release @ 1:15
Lutashia Dove, Principal