Principal's Weekly Message
West Lake Wildcat Families:
Welcome to the 2020-2021 school year! We are excited to welcome every Wildcat Team Member to the community for another amazing year! While this year will be like no other, we are ready for the opportunities presented to us and are confident that together, we will support one another to ensure every student at West Lake Middle School is successful socially, emotionally, and academically as we prepare our students for a productive life.
Prior to the holiday weekend, WCPSS sent out information to parents based on our plans for the 2020-2021 school year at this time.
- Governor Cooper has not yet provided definitive steps for schools in the 2020-2021 school year. Due to COVID19, he shared that more information will come to the school system mid-July.
- WCPSS has created this Return-to-Campus Guide for Families and sent it to school communities last week. In addition, you have access to a Return-to-Campus website. www.wcpss.net/returntocampus.
- At this time we expect to start the school year using a blend of in-person instruction and online instruction (Plan B). Details are outlined on page 5 of the Return-to-Campus Guide for Families.
- All WLMS students and families will start the school year on the Track 4 calendar. Students’ first day of school will be August 17, 2020.
- Student schedules will not be created until the beginning of August.
- WCPSS Virtual Academy: K-12 families will have the option to choose the WCPSS Virtual Academy for fully online instruction in the 2020-2021 school year. Families must commit to at least one semester, with a recommendation of a one-year commitment. Families who choose WCPSS Virtual Academy should expect the following to be true across all grade levels:
o Students will remain enrolled at their current school as assigned by WCPSS Student Assignment.
o To the degree possible, students will be taught by teachers from their current school.
o Students will experience a schedule and grading structure similar to their peers engaging in daily in-person or blended instruction.
o Instruction will be provided through a common online learning platform.
o Learning opportunities will include both recorded and live instructional sessions.
o Students will experience social and emotional support through meaningful connections and a classroom community.
o More information will be available at www.wcpss.net/Virtual-Academy the week of July 6. **Please note that the Virtual Academy for WLMS students will most likely be taught by our own staff members.
o Students can apply to WCPSS Virtual Academy beginning the week of July 13.
- Student, parent, and staff survey data was shared via School Messenger last week and can also be found on our school website. We want to ensure all stakeholders’ perspectives for Remote Learning- Spring 2020 have been shared and included.
- Virtual videos regarding the 2020-2021 school year are being created by our staff to share with you in late July. You will get to put faces and names together to become better acquainted with our amazing school-based team.
- If at any time you have questions for our team, you can call our main line 919-662-2900 to leave a message. We are periodically checking the messages and returning calls when staff are available.
Despite the challenges we have faced over the past few months, it continues to be our vision and ultimate goal to stay connected to every one of our students! We look forward to continuing our collaboration and partnership to #BeTheOne for our Students.
Anne Marie Adkins