Cougar Blast - Week of 6.7.21
Dear Cougar Family,
It is hard to believe that this will be the final Cougar Blast for the 2020-2021 school year. As I looked back at the last issues of previous years, it seems that AMS has had several memorable years that were at times challenging because of weather and/or HVAC issues. I can honestly say, however, that no year has been as unique or memorable as this one. The pandemic has caused us, students, families and staff, to shift and change more times than we care to think about. Through it all, I have been amazed and inspired by the undaunted resilience that our children have demonstrated throughout the pandemic.
This year has taught me that nothing is insurmountable when we face things head on together as a community. Our students have learned to navigate through constant change and become more independent far more quickly than usual. They have learned to communicate with teachers, counselors, and administrators through email to advocate for themselves. They have learned that it is okay to have questions and to ask for clarification. They have learned skills that they will continue to hone and polish which will carry them far in life. When I see where they are now from where they were when all this began, I am humbled and so incredibly proud of them. They have truly embodied our PRIDE characteristics and I am excited about what the future holds for them as they continue into high school and the rest of middle school in the years to come.
Thank you for the privilege of working with your children and your families. We are indeed fortunate to have successfully navigated this pandemic together.
The Cougar Blast will go on hiatus for the months of June and July. We will be back in August to gear up for the 2021-2022 school year.
Items to be returned
- Students May Keep Chromebooks But Must Return Hotspots by End of School Year
- Any student who has a WCPSS-issued hotspot must return it to their school by the end of the school year.
- Students who are graduating or leaving WCPSS are required to return all devices to their school on or before their last day. Read more.
- Students who have a WCPSS-issued Chromebook will keep their Chromebook through the transition to the 2021-22 school year.
- If you are thinking about trying out for the Apex Middle School football team in the fall and missed the Fall Athletics meeting on Wednesday, please contact Coach Veeder (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible, so he can send you the information and the code for the Football Team's Google Classroom.
- Make sure to sign up before June 10th because we will be sharing football specific information over the summer. Thank you.
- Face coverings are still required for everyone ages 5 and older while indoors and on school transportation.
- Students should not be in school if they are diagnosed with COVID-19, exposed to someone with COVID-19, instructed to quarantine, or if they are sick or experiencing any of these symptoms:
- 100.4° fever or higher
- Sore throat
- New cough
- New shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- New loss of taste or smell
- Diarrhea or vomiting
- New severe headache
- Once your child is well and returns to school, please be sure to send in a note that explains the absence. The note will go to our data manager inorder to properly code the absence.
Latest Information from WCPSS:
What's Happening at the PEAK?
June 7, 2021
- 8th Grade Day of celebration (details in grade level newsletter)
- The link to the virtual Moving Up Ceremony will be shared with families at 12 noon via a text message from your child's homeroom teacher.
June 8, 2021
- AMS Virtual Academy Car Parade Celebration, 9:00-11:00am (details in grade level newsletter)
June 10, 2021
- Last Day of School
August 19, 2021
- Meet & Greet for 7th & 8th grades (specific details to be posted on website later this month)
August 20, 2021
- 6th Grade Cougar Camp (specific details to be posted on website later this month)
August 23, 2021
- First day of school for the 2021-2022 school year
Monica Yllanes, Principal