DRMS' Principal Message
Happy Sunday Dolphins! This is Kristen Faircloth, proud principal at Durant Road Middle School, with your August 1st Family Message.
We are more than excited to start the 2021-22 school year on Monday, August 2nd! The DRMS staff have been working hard preparing for a successful school year. Thank you to all the families who were able to attend the Academies this past week. We hope you found the events informative and enjoyable. Our goal is for our Dolphins to feel prepared and comfortable for their first day of school. Staff members will be positioned and available all over campus to help students find their way. Homeroom assignments will be posted on each hallway and students will receive a copy of their schedule in their first period class. Please take some time to read through the Family Message below. Don't hesitate to reach out with any questions or needs as we are here to support you.
2021-22 School Year:
- The first day of school for all students is Monday, August 2nd.
- DRMS will follow the WCPSS year-round, track 4 schedule which can be found here.
- DRMS Supply Lists can be found here.
- School hours are 8:15 AM - 3:00 PM.
- Students may start arriving on campus at 7:45 AM.
Student Device Program: WCPSS is launching a new student device program for the 2021-22 school year. All WCPSS students will be issued a Lenovo 300e Chromebook. Some students received a Lenovo 300e Chromebook last year and will continue to use it. Students with other models are being asked to bring their device and charger to school to exchange the device for the 300e model. Students without a WCPSS device will receive one in the first few days of school. The device will be fully supported by the district while personal devices will not. Students and parents will be asked to sign an agreement that details the loan period, care, and requirements for taking part in the program. More information will be provided to students at the beginning of the school year.
- PodSquad Form: PodSquad membership allows students to attend all HOME games for free! They also get a t-shirt! T-shirts will be distributed in September. Cost to join is $25, and this money goes straight to the Athletic Boosters to help fund all of our athletic teams. When PodSquad students attend games, they will need to go to the ticket gate and give their name to the ticket taker. Ticket takers will have PodSquad members on a list and will grant them free entry. If families have any questions, please contact the Athletics Booster Club at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Athletic Booster Club Membership Form: This membership gives season or yearlong passes to families to attend all HOME games. Costs vary based on the membership they wish to purchase. Money received from these season passes goes straight to the Athletic Boosters to help fund all of our athletic teams. Once a season pass is purchased, families will be added to the Booster Club list, and at the ticket gate they will need to give their name to the ticket takers who will then grant them entry. If families have any questions, please contact the Athletics Booster Club at email@example.com
School Safety: COVID-19 safety guidelines are still in place for the 2021-22 school year. All students and staff will wear a mask that always covers the mouth and nose except when eating and drinking. Students will be provided opportunities to wash their hands frequently. Students should stay home if sick and let the school know if they have been exposed to someone with COVID-19.
Immunizations: NC State Law mandates that all rising 7th graders have their TDAP and Meningococcal vaccines. Please return immunization records showing TDAP and Meningococcal vaccines by or before August 2, 2021. Immunization records may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Child Nutrition Services: Child Nutrition Services is hiring for a variety of positions that are perfectly suited for adults that will enjoy a school-based work schedule and parents who want to work while their children are in school. Interested candidates can contact Rick Stanford at 919-694-7671, for information.
Thank you for supporting DRMS,
Kristen J Faircloth