YES STEM School of Distinction
Arrival – Conferencing:
We appreciate your partnership with us in protecting our instructional time for all students. As students are arrive on campus each morning, teachers begin their arrival time/morning work procedures. Teachers use this time to re-connect with their students, take attendance, work with small groups, and set the tone for the day.
Please be sure if you need to speak with your child’s teacher to send an email/note to your child’s teacher to set up a conference as opposed to trying to conference with teachers as they are welcoming students and getting settled into their day. Teachers have limited time in the mornings to have conference like conversations once the 8:45 am bell has rung because they are welcoming all students and settling into their day. Scheduled conferences allow teachers to give you the time and attention needed as opposed to trying to give both you and students attention.
Help protect our instructional time by allowing teachers time to connect and welcome students as they start their day – you are welcome to drop items off at the office (we’ll get them to the teacher/student), come in for lunch (let teachers know), volunteer in the classroom (scheduled with teachers & on WCPSS volunteer approved list), or have a scheduled conference (check in at the office first).
Thank you for understanding and supporting the work we do!
Joining us for lunch?
We are excited to welcome visitors who are able to join their child for lunch. Now that we are ready, here what you need to know:
- You are always welcome to eat lunch with your child during their assigned lunch time.
- Please notify your classroom teacher the day before your visit or before school starts for the day so that they will be expecting you.
- Students may not go off campus during their designated lunch time. Each class is given a thirty minute lunch period and that does not allow enough time to go off campus and return within the scheduled time.
- It is acceptable to bring lunch from an outside vendor and eat with your child at school in the cafeteria.
- We are in process of moving some picnic tables down to the grassy area outside the cafeteria exit doors for families to use during lunch (weather permitting). Families are also welcome to use the Storybook Garden space (entrance is between kindergarten & 1st grade hallways). Space in the cafeteria is tight this year, so we apologize that we do not have many open tables for families to move to.
- If you are celebrating a birthday, please be sure to let your child’s teacher know your plans so they are aware.
Cafeteria Visitor Expectations
• One additional student guest is permitted with student and their visitor(s)
• All children (including visiting siblings) will follow YORK PBIS lunchroom expectations
• Visiting adults are responsible for monitoring student’s behavior during lunch
• Visitor table/outdoor eating space should be cleaned, wiped down, and swept under the table after each visit
• Cleaning /garbage collection should be completed by student(s) using the space
Artist Leni Newell will be coming to York in November as the 5th grade artist in residence. 5th grade students, working with Ms. Newell, will create 5 large fabric banners to be displayed at York. Ms. Newell has asked for adult volunteers to assist with this project. Project dates are Monday, November 5th through Thursday, November 9th, and again on Monday, November 13, 2017. Volunteers are needed for 1.5 hour blocks. Please email Ann Goldfinch if you are available to help! email@example.com
YES Career Day 2017-18: We are in need of volunteers to present at Career Day on Friday, November 3rd starting at 2:00 pm. If you are interested please contact Abby Spencer or visit our school website to sign-up.
Positivity Project: Perspective is on deck for the next two weeks! Perspective is usually gained over time, as one accumulates more knowledge and experiences. However, developing perspective is not simply a matter of time. It comes from truly listening to others when they talk -- and working to understand new points of view when reading books, listening to stories, or watching movies. Click on this link to learn more about the character strength of perspective.
Here Comes the Bus App: WCPSS Transportation has sent out a message to all families, who use bus as their mode of transportation, regarding how to sign up to use this new resource. We will continue using York Bus Remind in conjunction with this for the next few weeks. After that, we will use York Bus Remind to communicate transportation alerts or notifications when needed.
Sign up at https://herecomesthebus.com/getting-started/
Ident-a-Kid: Pictures will be taken on Wednesday October 4th. If you have not yet returned the application form to your child’s teacher, it’s not too late to particiate in thie very important child safety program. Simply complete the form and return it with your child. If you need an extra form, please stop by the office or go towww.identakid.com/onlineapp
Grounds and Garden Day: Join us for a fun morning where we spruce up our campus grounds. This year’s campus clean-up is set for Saturday October 7th. Please plan to come any time between 9:00 am to 12:00 pm to help us beautify our grounds.
Shout Out Our Staff: We are starting something new that will help build even more positivity and climate for our staff here at YES. On our school website is a link where you can “Shout Out” a staff member. We don’t always get to know how a staff member has helped you or your child, but we want to know. Each month when we get together as a staff, we will share the shout outs you have submitted. Let’s keep the positivity going! #OtherPeopleMatter
Kate Williams – Principal
We’re looking forward to another great week (#6) at York!
YES Save the Date Reminders
- October 2-6 = Bullying Prevention and Awareness Week - See flyer sent home 9/29
- October 4th - Ident-a-Kid Pictures
- October 5th - BYOD 4th/5th grade Parent Meeting @ 5:00 pm - Media Center
- October 6th - Grandparent Luncheon - during class lunchtimes - Gym
- October 7th - Garden & Grounds Day @ 9:00 am
- October 19th - 3:00-6:00pm - Pick up orders from Fall Fundraiser
- Friday October 20th is an early release day = students dismissed @ 1:15pm
- October 27th - Sock Hop - 6:00-8:00 pm
- Tuesday October 31st - Teacher Workday - No school for students