Thank you for a fantastic start to the 2017-2018 school year! We've had an amazing 2nd week back. Our teachers and students have done an excellent job establishing and learning procedures and routines, and students are now beginning to dig into their curriculum. If you have specific questions about your student’s classroom or curriculum, please e-mail the classroom teacher.
- Please be sure starting next week that you have your York issued carpool number visible/hanging from your rear-view mirror. If you do not have your tag, a staff member will ask to see your ID to verify that you are the correct person here to pick up the student(s).
- If you still need a carpool number (even for those random moments), please come by the main office to have a tag issued to you for pick up.
- Please be sure to follow the direction of traffic, which includes watching for cones. If an area is coned off, please continue to follow traffic and not run over the cones.
- If you are not using the carpool loop for pick up, you will need to be here before 3:15 pm to check your child out of school. If you are picking up your child after 3:45, we will ask that you display your number and join the vehicles in the carpool loop. Students will not be released to adults who walk up to the carpool line where students are waiting - school policy
- All of our buses are finally arriving to school on time, and we hope you are feeling that change at your stops; likewise, carpool has run smoothly.
- There may be slow downs as Kindergarten and new families join the rotation, and we thank you for your continued patience as we finalize procedures.
- Please remember you should not get out of the car during arrival or dismissal - staff will help assist students. We also ask that parents no longer escort students to class in the morning unless you have an appointment with a teacher (sign in at the office). Thank you for helping us build independence in our students.
- Please see the following link regarding inclement weather. This document is also posted on our school website (under the parent tab/parent-student handbooks/inclement weather).
Shout out our staff:
- We are starting something new that will help build even more positivity and climate for our staff here at YES. On our school website homepage is a link where you can “Shout Out” a staff member. We don’t always get to know how a staff member has helped you or your child, but we want to know. Each month when we get together as a staff, we will share the shout outs you have submitted. Let’s keep the positivity going! #OtherPeopleMatter
Positivity Project (P2) Kick Off = MONDAY! #OtherPeopleMatter
A note to families explaining the P2 project was sent home in Tuesday folders talking about a new program we are excited to kick off this year at YES – The Positivity Project. You may have already seen our bulletin board in the main hallway with staff member pictures showcasing their top character strengths. You have probably also seen our Kindness Rocks project that we started this year as well when you walk up to the school entrance. All this year we will continue to learn, teach, and showcase this project (#OtherPeopleMatter/#OtherBulldogsMatter). The P2 Project’s mission is to empower America’s youth to build strong relationships and to understand, appreciate, and exemplify the character strengths in us all.
Here Comes the Bus:
WCPSS families will soon be able to use the bus tracking app Here Comes the Bus. Here Comes the Bus translates GPS data into an easy to use, customizable map that works on a computer, tablet, or smartphone and will allow you to see where the bus is and how close it is to your home. York families will be provided access to the app in a few weeks, and we will update you with registration and access information at that time.
My Student’s Team:
This fall, WCPSS is piloting a new communications strategy, My Student’s Team, designed to increase family engagement. The program allows York to provide academic updates to select adults outside and beyond a student’s immediate family; the purpose is to see if the additional support helps a student academically. Families and guardians will be able to identify two other supporters who may receive school-based information; these individuals will receive periodic texts and e-mails related to student achievement and attendance. The WCPSS My Student’s Team website has a list of frequently asked questions and can help you get started! Forms have been sent home as well – feel free to fill them out and drop them in the mail (use envelope provided).
If you have not yet joined the York PTA, I encourage you to visit their website and join PTA through the York PTA MemberHub. Our PTA does an outstanding job supporting our students and staff through school-wide events and programming.
- Join us for the general assembly meeting during Open House on Thursday, September 14th to learn more - as well as sign up to volunteer, join PTA/MemberHub, and be a part of the best school around!
- Kate Williams - Principal
- Wednesday September 13th = Fall School Picture Day
- Thursday September 14th = Open House 6:00 pm
- Wednesday September 20th = Fall Family Picnic 5:00-7:00pm
- Thursday September 21st = Teacher Workday - No school for students
- Thursday September 21st = BYOD Parent Meeting - 4th/5th grade parents - 9:00am - Media Center
- Friday September 29th = Early Release @1:15 pm