Supplemental Learning Activities for Students and Families
In order to mitigate learning loss and provide parents with resources they can use at home, we will post activities, read-alouds, and other resources on this page. These resources are in addition to the Remote Learning that will begin on April 13 for all tracks.
Our school district and our state have also created sites with remote learning resources. You can link to them below:
Structured remote learning will begin for all tracks on Monday, April 13. Our schedule and expectations can be found here on our Remote Learning Plan page.
Explaining Coronavirus to Children and Supporting Student Needs
All the news about COVID-19 (Coronavirus) can be concerning for parents and students. In addition to the valuable information and resources from the BCES Student Services Department, here are some tips to help address your family’s social and emotional needs:
- Share age-appropriate information with students and correct misinformation
- Reassure children that they are safe and adults are working to keep them safe
- Emphasize ways children and families can be “germ-busters” and reduce the spread of illness
- Try and keep routines as normal as possible
- Limit the amount of exposure to television and social media regarding COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
Some specific resources with additional information that you might find helpful are:
- This comic resource from NPR explains what the coronavirus is all about in a kid-friendly, graphci-novel type format.
- National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature Jason Reynolds shares “How to Fight the New Bad Guy in Town,” a PSA for kids, on the StorySeeds podcast here.
- Talking to Children About COVID-19 (Coronavirus): (National Association of School Psychologists)
- Talking to Children About Coronavirus (American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry)
- Talking to Young Children about Coronavirus (PBS Kids for Parents)
If you or your family needs any support or resources (food, shelter, counseling resources, etc.) at this time, please reach out to Jennifer Lee, School Counselor, at firstname.lastname@example.org .