May 7, 2021
Dear RMS Parents and Families,
I hope everyone has had a great week and will get to enjoy the weekend ahead. As I mentioned last week, there are many important things I will be sharing between now and the end of the year so please be sure to read things carefully.
- Dress Code: Spring has arrived and so have concerns with the school dress code. Many female students are wearing shirts that are too short. The policy is that all skin should be covered from the neck to the middle of the upper leg. Some of our male students are also wearing hats, which are not allowed. Bandanas are also not allowed unless they are serving the purpose of hair care. Please check your student before they leave for the day.
- Next Wednesday – Regular Day: Next Wednesday is a regular day of school and in-person students should report to school. VA students should be prepared to log in to all classes for live instruction. The last two RL days for this year will be May 19th and May 26th.
- Rising 7th Grade Beginning Band: Next school year, rising seventh grade students will have the option to take beginning band as their elective during the Fall semester. This course is normally only taught to sixth graders, but we want to extend the opportunity for music education to any rising seventh grade students who may have missed out this year due to the Pandemic. We will start from the very beginning with the basics necessary for learning an instrument -- no prior experience with music is required. If your student is interested in this opportunity, please contact Mr. Ballard (firstname.lastname@example.org) directly, and he will provide the information necessary to get started and answer any questions you may have."
- 2021 – 2022 Virtual Academy: The registration window has now closed, but WCPSS is currently allowing families who may have missed the deadline or who now wish to apply to be added to a waitlist. If you would like to be added to the waitlist, please fill out this form.
- Yearbooks: The cost of the yearbook will be $20 and you ordering is now open. Click here to order your 2020 – 2021 RMS Yearbook. Once on the Strawbridge website click on “order pictures and yearbooks” and then enter our code: FMYB110177
- End of Year Awards Ceremonies: 6th and 7th grade ceremonies will be for students only. Dates are still to be determined, but you can expect them to be sometime the week of June 14th.
8th Grade Ceremonies: Students will be provided two tickets for parents or family members to attend. Please see below for more information about the ceremony for each team:
Stingrays: The 8th Grade Virtual Academy team will host their livestream awards ceremony Wednesday June 16th in the evening. A specific time will be communicated to families closer to the date. Then, on Thursday, June 17th we will host a drive thru for students to collect certificates, take photos, and see their teachers. Additional details coming soon.
Cardinals: Their ceremony will be on Friday, June 18th and will begin at 9:00 am in the cafetorium.
Pangolins: Their ceremony will be on Friday, June 18th and will begin at 11:00 am in the cafetorium. Because the Pangolins also serve a section of VA students, this ceremony will be livestreamed so those students and parents can attend. VA students will be able to pick up any awards on Monday, June 21st.
- Important information for VA Students and EOG Testing:
- Please read the information that can be found here regarding important dates, times, and other information for VA students who will be coming to school for EOG testing.
- If your VA student will need district transportation for EOG testing, we must have that information by May 14. If you have not filled out the RMS VA Assessment Survey and your student needs transportation for testing, be sure you've completed this formbefore May 14.
- VA students who leave immediately after testing will not be served lunch. Breakfast is served between 7:40-8:10. VA students who will not eat breakfast at school should arrive by 8:15.
- Teacher Appreciation Week: I would like to say a big THANK YOU to our amazing PTA and all of you who donated items for Teacher Appreciation Week this week! It was an amazing week and our teachers certainly felt the love from our families. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
- Updated Face Coverings Guidelines: Based on new guidance issued Wednesday by the NC Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS), face coverings are now optional while outdoors. Face coverings are still required for everyone ages 5 and older while indoors and on school transportation.This means students and staff will not be required to wear face coverings outdoors for recess, classes held outdoors, outdoor PE classes, outdoor eating, and similar small gatherings.
Students and staff may choose to wear a face covering outdoors in these situations if they want, but a school or staff member may not require it. NCDHHS still recommends that anyone who is not vaccinated continue to wear a face covering when they are closer than six feet to another person, even when outdoors. However, this is a NCDHHS recommendation and not a requirement.
Rolesville Middle School