April 17, 2022 Mustang News
Welcome back from Spring Break! Be sure to turn your alarm clocks on, charge your Chromebooks and pack your backpacks. We are looking forward to seeing you tomorrow morning!
Missing Assignments: All missing assignments and reassessments for the first half of the quarter are to be submitted by April 27th, allowing teachers the opportunity to include those grades on progress reports. Students are encouraged to check their PowerSchool accounts for missing assignments or assessments that need to be resubmitted.
CASS Advisory Board Meeting: The Martin Counseling and Student Services team will host the final Advisory Board Meeting of the year on April 27th from 2:30-3:30.
Student Survey: All students are encouraged to complete the Student Survey by May 31st. The Survey Link can be found on each student’s WakeID Portal. Virtual Academy students are encouraged to complete the survey during the school day. In-person students will be given time at school to complete the survey.
Family Survey: The WCPSS Family Survey is open through May 6th and we encourage all Martin families to participate in this opportunity to provide feedback to help us grow and improve. To complete the survey, please click here.
EOG Retesting Opportunity: Martin GT Magnet Middle is committed to providing all students with an excellent education. At the end of the school year, your student will participate in the regular administration of North Carolina End-of-Grade (EOG) tests (Reading, Math and Science 8). Students who score Level 3 or higher on these assessments are considered proficient.
Students who do not score a Level 3 or higher on the EOG and pass the course have the opportunity to participate in remediation and to retest (take the EOG for a second time) on June 14 and 15. Transportation will be provided and breakfast and lunch will be available.
At this time, we are providing families with information about this opportunity. After students complete their EOGs we will determine which students are eligible and notify those families of their student’s eligibility to retest.
Please complete THIS FORM so we know if you want your student to participate in retesting if they pass the class but do not earn a Level 3 on the EOG.
Second Step: All students will participate in a Second Step lesson this week through Science classes. Topics and conversation starters are:
6th Grade: Respectful Communication:
- In this week’s lesson, your student will practice using non-blaming language to resolve conflicts..
- Conversation Starter: Ask your student to give you an example of non-blaming, respectful communication. Brainstorm with them to think of a time in your household when non-blaming language could have been helpful and make a plan for how to use respectful communication in the future.e changed their view about a conflict lately.
7th Grade: Conflict and Perspectives
- In this week’s lesson, your student will learn how to listen to and consider someone else’s perspective during a conflict.
- Conversation Starter: Discuss with your child a time in your life when your view of a conflict changed because you were able to see it from another person’s perspective. Ask your student if they have changed their view about a conflict lately.
8th Grade: Recognizing Others Perspectives
- In this week’s lesson, your student will practice viewing conflicts from multiple perspectives to keep conflicts from escalating.
- Conversation Starter: Tell your student about a time when your view of a conflict changed because you were able to see it from another person’s perspective. Ask your student if they have changed their view of a conflict lately.
Concert Season: Spring concert season will get underway beginning April 28th with our Orchestra Department. More information to come.
Athletics This Week: This week’s athletic events are:
- Monday Softball vs Oberlin
- Tuesday Soccer@ East Garner
- Wednesday Track vs Carnage