According to WCPSS Board Policy, students are expected to adhere to a dress code that is conducive to the learning environment. Presenting a bodily appearance or wearing clothing which is disruptive, provocative, revealing, profane, vulgar, offensive or obscene, or which endangers the health or safety of the student or others is prohibited. The school shall exercise appropriate discretion in implementing this policy, including making reasonable accommodations on the basis of the student's religious beliefs or medical conditions.
If a student's dress or appearance is in violation of the dress code, the student will be asked to change his or her dress or appearance. Parents or guardians may be contacted to help correct dress code concerns. In extreme cases, students will not be allowed to attend classes until they are appropriately dressed. Repeat violations of this policy may result in disciplinary action and referrals to the school counselor or social worker.
Examples of prohibited dress or appearance include, but are not limited to:
- Attire with words printed across the rear of pants, shorts, and skirts.
- Exposed undergarments
- Sleep wear
- Sagging pants--pants should be between mid-waist and hip bone
- Oversized shirts--shirts may not extend past the halfway point between the top of the less and the knee or past the end of the longest fingertips if arms are held down by sides of the legs
- Skirts, shorts, and dresses that are excessively short
- Bare midriff shirts
- Strapless and spaghetti strap shirts
- Attire that exposes cleavage or back
- Attire with messages or illustrations that are lewd, indecent, or vulgar or that advertise any product or service not permitted by law to minors
- Head coverings of any kind
- Any adornment such as chains or spikes that reasonably could be perceived as or used as a weapon
- Any symbols, styles, or attire frequently associated with intimidation, violence, or violent groups
- Sunglasses may not be worn at any time in the school building
- Combs, brushes, and other grooming items may not be worn