Mustang News for February 28, 2021
Can you believe we are already closing out the month of February? We have reached the halfway point of the 3rd quarter. Students and families are encouraged to check PowerSchool for progress on grades. As a reminder, we are not mailing progress reports to families this year. Please reach out to teachers, grade level counselors or administrators if you have any questions.
Wednesday will be an Asynchronous Learning day for all students. There will be no live meets but students are expected to check each Google Classroom and Canvas site for the activities for the day.
For those on Plan A/B/C, Cohort 1/Cohort A will return to in-person learning on Monday. Below are a few reminders about in-person learning:
- Students should stay home if they are not feeling well and follow the Guidelines for Returning to School.
- All students will be screened prior to entering the building.
- Students riding school transportation must have a Bus Attestation form completed.
- All members of the school community must practice the 3 Ws at all times; Wear a mask, Wait 6ft. apart, Wash hands frequently.
- While eating lunch, students will be seated 6ft. apart, face the same direction, and refrain from socializing while they are not wearing a mask. Additionally, masks are to be put back on as soon as they are done eating.
- Student Accountability and Health Protocols are to be reviewed and completed and submitted.
Congratulations: Congratulations and good luck to our Martin Science Olympiad team. Our team, led by Mr. Beko, competed last Saturday in the Regional Virtual Tournament. They will finish the competition this Saturday, March 6th.
Black History Month: Some members of the Martin staff are taking part in a book study concerning Stamped From the Beginning by Ibram X. Kendi. We are excited to apply some of this new information to our interactions with students and parents here at school. North Carolina plays a key role in black history. Check out this information concerning Durham’s Hayti community.
March Family Coffee: Are you the parent of an AIG student? Want to know more about SSA and AIG service delivery in a virtual world? Join us at 8am on March 3rd for a virtual meeting! Fill out this form (https://buff.ly/2ZGqlZ5 ) to let us know you're interested! The coffee will be hosted by Ms. Bonham West and Ms. Dalessio.
Marvel Club : Martin's newest Marvel club is for all Martin students to meet Thursday mornings and discuss and play games revolving around the Marvel franchise. We go over all components of the franchise like the movies, tv shows, and comics. We meet Thursdays during enrichment (9:50-10:25).
Attention 8th Grade Families: All 8th grade students who are assigned to attend Middle Creek High School are invited to attend the 2020 Academy Open House on March 3, 2021 at 6PM online at https://meet.google.com/ien-goio-iyi to learn about our Middle Creek High School Adobe Digital Media Academy and how to apply.
- Please note that this is a highly competitive program and only a limited number of students are accepted each year
- We are only accepting new applicants to the Adobe Digital Media Academy for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Only students who are assigned to MCHS as their base school are able to apply to be a part of the academy
- Students in the Adobe Digital Media Academy are working towards careers in fields related to graphics, audio/video production, web design, or animation
- All Academy students must commit to the 4-year program, be involved in a Career Technology Service Organization (SkillsUSA), and must complete a 135-hour internship relating to their field of study between their Junior and Senior Year
- To apply, students must fill out the application and have two teachers complete a recommendation form online by March 31, 2021 (application is found on mchscareeracademies.com website)
For more information, please email Ms. Christina Councill, Career Academy Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Council News: Students Coffee chats are back! Thank you to all students who joined us for “How to Better Practice Self Care?” on Thursday. Mark your calendars for March 5th, March 19th and March 26th, and sign up using this google form to participate in one of our upcoming coffees! All coffees are during Enrichment. For more information, please visit the “Student Coffee Chats” tab on the Student Council website. Also don't forget to check out the presentations made for the last Coffee Chats topics on the Student Council website!
Student Council Website link: https://sites.google.com/wcpss.net/martinstudentcouncil/home
Are you interested in learning a new stringed instrument? Mr. Harris’s orchestra classes are the way to go. He teaches a variety of levels of orchestra available to all students! If you aren’t interested in a year long music class, you can try out his semester-long guitar classes. Questions? Reach out to Mr. Harris (NDHarris@wcpss.net).
Athletics: Fall season sports continue Monday. Each Plan A/B/C student will attend with his/her cohort. All Virtual Academy students have been assigned a cohort. Rosters for each cohort and season can be found on the Martin Athletics Website. You can also contact Mr. Basaldu, email@example.com, with any questions. As a reminder, Virtual Academy students will be screened prior to entering the building.
Community Circles: Community circles are social emotional tools used throughout Wake County. If you are interested in learning more about community circles, check out this flyer for more information.
Wellness Training: WCPSS is continuing to offer Wellness Training for all families, parents, caretakers and students. Please see the linked flier for session details.
Registration: Our counseling team will start registration sessions with students this week. In preparation for registrations, begin looking through the course catalogue so that you are aware of everything that we offer at Martin!
From the PTA:
Thank You for Loving Our Library!: A BIG THANK YOU to all those, students, families and staff who donated the wonderful books and magazines for Love Your Library! Due to your kindness and generosity, the library will receive 57 new books and 3 new magazines to add to its collection. We know this has been a challenging year for many, and for you to give at this time means so very much. Our students and staff will be so excited! For those who still wish to donate, the Amazon link will remain open.
PTA Parent Chat: Q&A with Dr. King - 3/4, 8:00am: We’re welcoming back Dr. Emily King, a local child and adolescent psychologist, to answer your questions! Join parents from area middle schools to address challenges and share solutions. Register for the chat here. To make this discussion even more meaningful, please submit your questions in advance.
Register Now for Parent Circles: 3/18 and 3/19: This year has been tough! If you’d like to support and be supported by other Martin parents, consider joining one of our upcoming Parent Circles. Each Circle will last one hour. Sign up here!