Mr. Hudson's Principal Message on Monday, February 12
Dear Piper Parents,
We have an eventful week ahead at Parkside!
- Tomorrow marks our Parent Academy, an opportunity for parents to engage with their child's teachers to learn how to support and engage their students at home.
- On February 14th and 15th, we'll be honoring our local emergency service workers and military personnel with our Heroes Lunch, celebrating their dedication and service to our community.
- Additionally, it's Love the Bus week, where we extend our gratitude to our hardworking bus drivers for their commitment to safely transporting our students. You can find more information about each even below.
Thank you for your continued support in making Parkside the best elementary school in Wake County!
- Feb 13 - Parent Academy: “Love and Learn: A Heartfelt Academic Night for Parents”
- Feb 14 & 15: PTA sponsored Heroes Lunch
- Feb 25 - PTA Spirit Night at Triangle Rock Club
- Mar 4 - PTA General Membership Meeting
- Mar 5 - No school, Teacher Work Day
- Mar 23 - Parkside Campus Beautification Day
- Mar 28 - STEM Night presented by the PTA: 6:00 - 8:00PM
Track 1 EOG Testing Dates
5/21- 3rd, 4th, 5th ELA
5/22- 3rd, 4th, 5th Math
5/23- 5th Grade Science
Tracks 2, 3, 4 EOG Testing Dates
6/13- 3rd ELA
6/14- 3rd Math
6/18- 4th/ 5th- ELA
6/20- 4th/5th- Math
6/21- 5th Grade Science
“Love and Learn: A Heartfelt Academic Night for Parents”
Save the date! We are thrilled to announce our upcoming Parent Academy for the second semester, titled "Love and Learn: A Heartfelt Academic Night for Parents." Join us on February 13th for an enriching evening focused on learning strategies and tips to bolster your child's ongoing development and success throughout the latter half of the school year.
We have organized two sessions to accommodate your schedule, with the first session starting at 5:30 and concluding at 6:20, followed by the second session running from 6:30 to 7:20. Each session will be tailored to address the specific needs of your child's grade level, providing you with practical strategies to reinforce your child's learning at home.
Parkside students are welcome to attend, and childcare will be available exclusively for Parkside students during the event.
Mark your calendars for this valuable opportunity to enhance your involvement in your child's academic journey. We look forward to seeing you there!
Heroes Lunch Help Needed
On February 14th and 15th, emergency service workers and military personnel are invited to share a meal with Parkside students as part of our Heroes Lunch. We are in need of parents to help set-up and clean-up both days and to greet our guests upon arrival. If you would like to help out - please sign up below. All volunteers must be background checked.
Love the Bus
The week of February 12th-February 16th will be “Love the Bus” week as we celebrate our amazing bus and special transportation drivers for all they do each day. Please help us recognize our drivers for their dedication by providing daily “goodies” this week. See the schedule below:
Monday: Bring them a card to show thanks
Tuesday: Bring them a “Sweet Treat”
Wednesday: Bring them a flower
Thursday: Bring them a healthy snack
Friday: You decide 🙂
This “Love the Bus” recognition is open to all Parkside families, not just those who utilize transportation services. If you do not ride WCPSS transportation but would like to thank the drivers, you may turn in items at Parkside. There will be a drop off box in the vestibule beginning Tuesday, February 6th.
**Parkside has four bus drivers that are responsible for our seven bus routes. We also have 6 special transportation drivers/aides and will be collecting donations to make them “Goodie Bags.”
Valentine Staff Snack Cart Sign Up
Please donate snack items for our Staff Valentine’s Day “Stock the Lounge”. Bring your donations Monday, February 12, 2024 during morning carpool. Your support is greatly appreciated!
Hello Sandpiper Families! Now that all tracks have returned for the 2024 part of this school year, there are some carpool reminders we would like to share with all of our families who utilize carpool in the morning and/or the afternoon.
Morning Carpool Drop Off Reminders:
- No students should be dropped off before 8:45
- Dropping off students from the Little Drive entrance is prohibited. There are no staff monitoring this arrival point and the main parking lot is one way for cars to exit campus, it is not a two way street.
- Please make sure students exit the car on the passenger side of the vehicle.
Afternoon Carpool Pick Up Reminders:
- There are six cones for six cars to pick up students in the afternoon. Please move to the next cone for pick up, even if your student is waiting at a different location. Staff will bring your student to you.
- At the carpool cones, please do not pull out around a vehicle waiting in front of you. While the carpool pick up area is wide, it is technically a one lane road and narrows past the yellow cone.
- The carpool pick up line is the right lane, the left lane is only for YMCA pick up, PreK pickup/drop-off, and/or meetings with school staff. You will be stopped by the staff member at the front of the line if you use this lane.
- Please make sure students enter cars only on the passenger side. Use the parking lot after you exit the carpool area if you need to adjust a seatbelt or car seat.
- If your student is not at the cones when you pull up to them, we will have you drive around to the visitors spots on the side of the building, and we will bring your student to you when they come downstairs.
- If you are a carpool parent, please do not bypass the lane to park and walk to pick up your student, unless it is an emergency. The last early dismissal from the office is 3:15pm.
- Finally, please display your carpool tag number on your rearview mirror at all times.
We thank you for making our dismissal process safe and efficient for you and your students.
Please do not send in glass containers in lunch boxes.
Snack Donations Needed
As we quickly move into the second semester, we're reaching out to our wonderful parent community to request snack donations. Your support in providing nutritious and delicious snacks will go a long way in ensuring our students who need a snack have the energy they need. Please drop off your donations at the main office. Thank you so much for your ongoing support! If you have any questions or need further information, please don't hesitate to reach out.
WAKE Up and Read Book Drive
This is the last week to support the WAKE Up and Read Book Drive. We have collected over 300 books, and are so close to reaching our goal of collecting of 500 books!
- Great Book Donations
- New or gently-read books for babies & children
- Recently published books that children are excited to read
- Books that reflect the diversity of our community
- Books that are visually appealing and high-interest
- Books that children and families will be proud to own
Thank you for joining us in this effort! Together we can ensure that every child in Wake County is inspired, equipped, and empowered to read. More information is on the attached flyer. If you have any questions, contact Lindsay Santiago at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Track Change Request Window Opens Today
If you would like to request a track change for the 2024-25 school year, the track change request window is February 12-March 1, 2024. No requests will be accepted after this window closes.
Our track change request form will be posted on our school webpage and included in the Monday Principal Update emails during that time. At the end of the window, we will make track change decisions based on available space for each grade level and track.
Please note that we must adhere to state class size legislation when making decisions related to moving student's tracks. Submitting this form does not guarantee you will receive the track change you are requesting.
Kids Heart Challenge for 2023-24
We are officially kicking off our 2024 Kids Heart Challenge at Parkside!
ALL students will be able to participate, whether they register and complete fundraising or not. Fundraising will end on February 29, 2024. Use the link below to register and get started!
**All donations will be submitted online, please do not send money to school**
This school year the PTA is offering families the opportunity to paint our Spirit Rock! For $25 you can paint a birthday message to your child, congratulations on an achievement, good luck on a sporting event - anything you can think of. Payment is due at time of reservation. Please see our website for more info and let us know if you have any questions!
Important Links to Access Easily