Mr. Hudson's Principal Message on Tuesday, September 5th
Good morning Parkside Families,
I hope everyone had a safe and relaxing holiday weekend. There is a lot happening at Parkside in the month of September. Please read carefully so you don’t miss out on any of the fun happenings. We want to wish all our track 1 families a safe and happy track out. Your last day of the quarter is this Friday!
- September 7 - Boosterthon Fun Run Tracks 1 and 3
- September 8 - Happy Track Out to Track 1 Students
- September 8 - Last Day of Quarter 1 for Track 1 Students
- September 11 - PTA Board Meeting
- September 11 - Boosterthon begins for Tracks 2 and 4
- September 19 - Boosterthon Fun Run Tracks 2 and 4
- Sep 19 - Spirit Night at Dairy Queen (Flyer)
- Sep 22 - Family Fun Night: (Flyer)
- October 20 - Trunk or Treat/Movie Night
- November 27 - Boof Fair Begins
Parksides Enrollment Cap… What does it really mean
At Parkside Elementary, we understand that there have been misunderstandings regarding the enrollment cap and its implications. We want to provide accurate information to help our community members make informed decisions about enrollment and student assignments.
- Grade-Level Cap Numbers: It's important to note that our enrollment cap is not applied uniformly across the entire school. Instead, we have specific cap numbers at each grade level. This means that there are designated maximum student counts per grade before considering overflow options. Currently, the only grade levels that have reached their cap are 2nd and 5th grade. For rising kindergarten students, there are still 32 available seats.
- Ongoing Enrollment: Once a student secures a seat at Parkside, they are not subject to being capped out. If you are enrolled and have a confirmed seat, you will remain a part of the Parkside community until the transition to middle school, and as long as you remain living within our base.
- Importance of Meeting Cap Numbers: Our teacher allotments and program offerings are directly influenced by our enrollment numbers. Monitoring our cap numbers closely is essential to ensuring that we can provide adequate staffing and maintain the quality of education across all grade levels and programs.
We encourage all community members to share this accurate information to prevent any further misconceptions. If you or anyone you know has questions about student assignment, enrollment procedures, or the capping system, please don't hesitate to contact us. Our dedicated team is here to provide assistance and clarity.
Family Fun Night
Join us on Friday September 22nd from 6:00 to 8:00 for Family Fun Night hosted by our very own Parkside PTA. The night of family fun will feature inflatables, music, games, local vendors, and so much more! The fun will take place on the K-2 playground. If you live close enough to school we ask that you please walk to the event as parking will be limited. For more information check out this flyer.
Does your Parkside student have an immediate family member that is connected to the U.S. Military, including Active Duty, National Guard or Reserves, Retired Military, Disabled Veteran or a Federal Civil Service Employee? If so, please complete this form and return it to our data manager Kelly Cox-Jones. Forms can be sent in with your student or emailed to Ms. Cox at email@example.com.
Booster Fun Run for Tracks 1 and 3 Is this Thursday!
The Booster Fun Run event for tracks 1 and 3 is this Thursday, September 7th. We would like to invite parents to come out to the event to cheer on their runners. Your classroom teacher will share the time their class will be participating in the event. This fundraising event will raise money to support school programs and resources. Registration for the event is open. All participants who register before the kickoff will be entered into a drawing for a free piece of Parkside Spirit Wear! More information about the event can be found here. If we reach our school goal of $20,000 dollars Mr. Hudson will get slimed!
3rd Grade Explorers Parent Information Meeting
Parents of 3rd grader students are welcome to join a virtual meeting on Thursday, September 7th to learn more about the 3rd grade explorers program and the Academically and Intellectually Gifted (AIG) program at Parkside. Please read this flyer for more information.
This school year the PTA is offering families the opportunity to paint our Spirit Rock! For $25 you can paint a birthday message to your child, congratulations on an achievement, good luck on a sporting event - anything you can think of. Reservations can be made now for the month of August. Payment is due at time of reservation. Please see our website for more info and let us know if you have any questions!
We're excited to introduce a makerspace into the Media Center! This space will allow students to create, engineer, code, develop and more! Please consider donating items to help make our space great! For more information check out this flyer.
WCPSS Volunteer Registration for Parents and Community Volunteers
All WCPSS parent and community volunteers are required to register through the new MyVolunteer system. Please complete your registration on a computer at home or school. It is very difficult to complete using a mobile phone. It can take several weeks for your registration to be approved so don’t wait until field trips to try and register. Register now so you are ready and able to volunteer in the classroom, volunteer for school events, or chaperone at any time this school year!
- Click the link below to start your volunteer registration: https://myvolunteer.com/wcpss/volunteer/login
- Click create new account.
- Complete the online form and select all the schools that you are requesting to volunteer or chaperone for the 2023-2024 school year.
- It will then say pending.
- Soon after you will receive an email with a customized link for you to complete next steps for your background check. This link expires 10 days from the day you receive the email. Follow the instructions in that email. You will fill out all items in red boxes and then you will review and digitally sign four documents (Summary of Rights Under the FCRA, Disc & Auth, NC Security Freeze Notice, and WCPSS Volunteer Agreement).
- If you leave the CRC background site before completing your contact information, you will have to begin the process again.
- You must include your social security number to register to volunteer. If you do not have a social security number, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919-694-8233.
- Great news is that this year you will be notified by the MyVolunteer system if you are approved to volunteer!
Please Note: If you are a WCPSS Employee seeking to volunteer/chaperone in the schools, you do not have to complete a criminal background check. However, employees will still need to register in the MyVolunteer system (https://myvolunteer.com/wcpss/volunteer/login) and complete the Wake County Volunteer Agreement and other required forms. Employees must select the “Current Staff of WCPSS” link on MyVolunteer to complete the volunteer registration process and must use their WCPSS email address to complete the registration.
Important Links to Access Easily