Mr. Hudson's Principal Message on Monday August 21st
Good morning Parkside Families,
Welcome back to all of our track 3 students!
- August 22 - 3rd Grade Explorers Meeting
- August 24 - Academic Open House Tracks 3 and 4 from 5:30-7:00
- August 28 - Spirit Night at Handel’s (updated date)
- August 29 - Boosterthon begins for Tracks 1 and 3
- September 7 - Boosterthon Fun Run Tracks 1 and 3
- September 11 - PTA Board Meeting
- September 11 - Boosterthon begins for Tracks 2 and 4
- September 19 - Boosterthon Fun Run Tracks 2 and 4
- September 22 - Family Fun Night
- October 20 - Trunk or Treat/Movie Night
- November 27 - Boof Fair Begins
Parkside Academic Open House for Tracks 3 and 4
Parkside Academic Open House will take place this Thursday, August 24 from 5:30-7:00 for tracks 3 and 4. There will be two sessions to allow parents who have multiple children at Parkside. Session 1 will run from 5:30-6:15 and session 2 will run from 6:25-7:00. This is a parent-only event and we are asking that, if possible, children not attend.
3rd Grade Explorers Parent Information Meeting
Parents of 3rd grader students are welcome to join a virtual meeting on Tuesday, August 22nd or Thursday, September 7th to learn more about the 3rd grade explorers program and the Academically and Intellectually Gifted (AIG) program at Parkside. Please read this flyer for more information.
Student safety is paramount at Parkside. As a school, one area that we need parent support with is morning arrival procedures.
- Walkers and bike riders - if your child walks or rides their bike to school by themselves please do not let them leave for school so they are arriving on campus before the 8:45 arrival bell. We do not have staff on duty before 8:45 and these students need to be supervised while on campus.
- Walkers and bike riders - if you walk or ride your bike to school with your child(ren), please stay with them until the 8:45 arrival bell rings.
- Carpool drop off - Staff begin their morning duty at 8:45. To ensure the safety of our students as they come on campus, please do not drop your child off before 8:45 in the carpool line.
- Important - during morning arrival, the entrance to campus from Little Drive is only for buses and cabs. There should be no parents using this entrance for any reason. The area marked as Service Area, is not a parking area and no one should be using this space for drop off.
- If you are driving your child to school and would like to walk them in, please go through the carpool line and park in the visitor spaces next to the school or in the visitor parking lot. If you park in the visitor parking lot we have a staff member on duty as a crossing guard to ensure your safety.
- The morning carpool line is not long, and there is often no wait after the initial wave of cars. Please be patient so that we are able to ensure the safety and security of our students and staff.
Boosterthon for Tracks 1 and 3 Starts August 29th
The Boosterthon Fun Run event for tracks 1 and 3 starts on August 29th, and the run event will take place on September 7th. This fundraising event will raise money to support school programs and resources. Registration for the event is now open. All participants who register before the kickoff will be entered into a drawing for a free piece of Parkside Spirit Wear! More information about the event can be found here.
This school year the PTA is offering families the opportunity to paint our Spirit Rock! For $25 you can paint a birthday message to your child, congratulations on an achievement, good luck on a sporting event - anything you can think of. Reservations can be made now for the month of August. Payment is due at time of reservation. Please see our website for more info and let us know if you have any questions!
5th Grade Class Shirts
This is the last week to order 5th grade class shirts. The PTA is currently selling 5th grade shirts through their online store. The store will be open until 8/25. Delivery to your home or school. https://parkside5thgradespiritwear2023.itemorder.com/
We're excited to introduce a makerspace into the Media Center! This space will allow students to create, engineer, code, develop and more! Please consider donating items to help make our space great! For more information check out this flyer.
WCPSS Volunteer Registration for Parents and Community Volunteers
All WCPSS parent and community volunteers are required to register through the new MyVolunteer system. Please complete your registration on a computer at home or school. It is very difficult to complete using a mobile phone. It can take several weeks for your registration to be approved so don’t wait until field trips to try and register. Register now so you are ready and able to volunteer in the classroom, volunteer for school events, or chaperone at any time this school year!
- Click the link below to start your volunteer registration: https://myvolunteer.com/wcpss/volunteer/login
- Click create new account.
- Complete the online form and select all the schools that you are requesting to volunteer or chaperone for the 2023-2024 school year.
- It will then say pending.
- Soon after you will receive an email with a customized link for you to complete next steps for your background check. This link expires 10 days from the day you receive the email. Follow the instructions in that email. You will fill out all items in red boxes and then you will review and digitally sign four documents (Summary of Rights Under the FCRA, Disc & Auth, NC Security Freeze Notice, and WCPSS Volunteer Agreement).
- If you leave the CRC background site before completing your contact information, you will have to begin the process again.
- You must include your social security number to register to volunteer. If you do not have a social security number, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919-694-8233.
- Great news is that this year you will be notified by the MyVolunteer system if you are approved to volunteer!
Please Note: If you are a WCPSS Employee seeking to volunteer/chaperone in the schools, you do not have to complete a criminal background check. However, employees will still need to register in the MyVolunteer system (https://myvolunteer.com/wcpss/volunteer/login) and complete the Wake County Volunteer Agreement and other required forms. Employees must select the “Current Staff of WCPSS” link on MyVolunteer to complete the volunteer registration process and must use their WCPSS email address to complete the registration.
Apply for Free and Reduced Price School Meals
To receive free or reduced-price meals for the 2023-24 school year, families must submit a meal benefits application online at MySchoolApps.com. Paper copies are available in the front office. For families who completed the 2022-23 meal benefits application, the benefit continues for their student's first 30 school days of the 2023-24 school year. At elementary schools, full-paid breakfast will be $1.50 and lunch will be $3.25.
Important Links to Access Easily