Parent Canvas Accounts
Parents can create an account in Canvas to monitor their child's progress. To do this, the student must generate a pairing code for the parent to use when creating an account. Please see links below for detailed instructions.
Go to https://wcpss.instructure.com/login/canvas. Then use the top-right link to create your account.
- How to create a parent account (Links to an external site.) (requires pairing code)
- Add Multiple Students (Links to an external site.)
- Notification Preferences (Links to an external site.)
- Password Reset (Links to an external site.) (must use same email as when account was created)
- Canvas Parent App (Links to an external site.) (iOS and Android)
Generating a Pairing Code
About Pairing Codes
- Only students and teachers can generate pairing codes.
- Pairing codes are required to create an account and to add multiple students.
- Unused pairing codes will not work after 7 days.
- Pairing Codes - Frequently Asked Questions (Links to an external site.)
Access for Parent Accounts
Parents will automatically be enrolled in courses for students they have paired with. However, access in the course is limited.
What a parent account can do:
- View and read announcements
- View assignments index page
- View the calendar
- Join conferences, if invited
- Join collaborations, if invited
- View personal inbox
- Send conversation messages to instructor and student they are observing
- View the dashboard
- View and read discussions
- View files unless they are locked
- View grades, view assignment due dates and comments, and print grades
- View modules and see due dates and point values
- View pages and contribute if the instructor enables the Anyone can edit it setting
- View profile pictures, if available
- View syllabus
- View outcomes
- View quizzes index page
What a parent account cannot do:
- Comment on announcements or discussions
- Submit assignments or quizzes
- View course rosters
- Send conversation messages to students with whom they are not paired
- View locked files or folders
- Join groups
- View unpublished courses
- Access the Chat tool
- Reserve appointment slots in the Scheduler
- View grade audit trail