Oberlin Middle 2022-2023 Tryout Information
Prior to trying out for any sports, participating students are required to have an updated athletic physical that was completed in the past 365 days. To submit your completed physical form, please register with the WCPSS Dragonfly Digital registration system at this Registration Link . You will also submit your completed physical form on the Dragon Fly system. If you have any questions, please reach out to Athletic Director, Pete Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Am I Eligible?
- Must meet all eligibility requirements prior to the first tryout/practice date.
- Must earn passing grades (D or better) in no fewer than all but one of the core courses taken during the prior semester.
- Must not have more than 14 total absences (85% attendance requirement) in the semester prior to athletic participation.
- Must have a completed and signed Middle School Athletic Participation Form prior to the first tryout/practice date.
- Must not participate if he/she becomes 15 years of age on or before August 31, 2022.
- Must receive a medical examination once every 395 days by a licensed medical physician, physician’s assistant or family practitioner in the United States.
- Parent or legal custodian must read the Concussion Information Sheet, initial and sign the Student-Athlete & Parent/Legal Custodian Concussion Statement once each school year.
- Must meet promotion requirements to be eligible for fall semester. The State Board of Education defines promotion as “progressing to the next grade.” Students retained either by the school or the parents will be ineligible for the fall semester.
- Semester Rule - No student may be eligible to participate at the Middle School level for a period lasting longer than 6 consecutive semesters beginning with the students’ first entry into 6 th grade. While WCPSS only offers athletics beginning in seventh grade, the 6 semester rule begins with initial entry into 6 th grade for all public middle schools in the state.
- Must not participate (practice or play) if ineligible.
- Must not participate (practice or play) in any athletic event if suspended or is actively serving in the in-school suspension program for that day or days.
- Must be present in school in order to participate in practices or games that day.
- Must live with a parent or legal custodian within the Wake County Public School System administrative unit. (Must notify the athletic director if not living with a parent or legal custodian.)
- A player must practice a total of six (6) days before playing in a game in all sports except football, where a player must practice nine (9) days.
- A player injured requiring medical attention and/or absent due to illness must meet eligibility requirements and must have practiced the required number of days above (# 14). This player may not participate in practice or a contest without a doctor’s note. Students absent from athletic practice 5 or more consecutive days due to illness or injury shall receive a medical release by a licensed physician before readmittance to practice or play.
- If school is not in session or school closes early, no practice or game will take place. There will be no practice on Saturdays (this includes year round schools), holidays, or vacation days
MUST Register through DragonFLY
- MUST SIGN-UP through DragonFLY
- Prior to trying out for any sports, participating students are required to have an updated athletic physical that was completed in the past 365 days. To submit your completed physical form, please register with the WCPSS Dragonfly Digital registration system at this Registration Link . You will also submit your completed physical form into the Dragon Fly system. If you have any questions, please reach out to Athletic Director, Pete Anderson at email@example.com
- How do athletes participate?
- *Review the WCPSS Athletic Eligibility Requirements HERE
- *All 7th/8th grade student athletes MUST have passed 3 of 4 Core Classes for 2nd Semester 2022
- *ALL athletes will need to have completed ALL forms in the DragonFly platform *Click HERE to register and set-up an account in DragonFly. The Physical form and Athletic Physical Eligibility form both need to be downloaded and completed by a doctor and then uploaded back into DragonFly
- Can I use last year's forms?
- All athletic forms must be completed on the DragonFly platform. NO paper copies will be accepted.
- Is my dragonfly submission from last year still good?
- If you utilized DragonFly last year, please update the forms to reflect the 2022-23 school year. A new physical is not required if still up to date (395 days from date of last physical).
- I didn't do dragonfly last year. Can I bring a paper copy or email Coach Anderson?
- Only digital forms completed in DragonFly will be accepted. No paper copies. ONLY forms in Dragonfly for 2022-23 will be accepted. Be sure to download physical and physical eligibility forms to take to the health care provider. Some health care providers may not have the most recent form.
- My insurance won't pay for another physical right now. What do I need to do?
- A physical from any healthcare provider will be accepted. Walk-in clinics often have cheaper pricing for physical. Be sure to take both the Athletic Physical and Athletic Physical Eligibility forms with you. If you have completed a physical in the past that is still good, you can take the form to the doctor's office to fill out. Many offices say one week turn around time, so keep this in mind.
- How do I know if my child is in good standing and ready to try out?
- If the status bar in Dragonfly shows 100% your child is good to go with athletic eligibility forms. However, students who did not pass 3 of 4 core courses for 2nd Semester 2022 or have more than 14 absences or turn 15 years of age prior to August 31, 2022, will not be eligible.
- If I have questions beyond the FAQ's who should I contact?
- Please reach out to Athletic Director Pete Anderson. He may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (919 )881-4860 EXT. 23336