Select a School...
Select a School

School Improvement Plan

  • School Improvement Team Meeting Dates 2016-2017

    Monday August 22, 2016 at 12:30 p.m.

    Tuesday September 6, 2016

    Tuesday October 4, 2016

    Tuesday November 1, 2016

    Tuesday December 6, 2016

    Tuesday January 3, 2017

    Tuesday February 14, 2017

    Tuesday March 14, 2017

    Tuesday April 4, 2017

    Tuesday May 2, 2017

    June 6, 2017

     

    Meetings are held in media center at 2:45 unless noted differently

        Click on the + Below to view Fuquay Varina High School's 2014-2015 School Improvement Team's meeting minutes.
  • September 6, 2016

    SIP Meeting Minutes

    9-6-16

      Changing from random data reporting to a more systematic approach to recurring data collection and analysis.

      SIT will be split during the SIP meetings into 2 committees

    ·       Core instruction data - KEY PROCESS 1:  Fuquay-Varina High School will show academic growth through rigorous instruction and increased student engagement

    ·       Attendance and other traditional data - KEY PROCESS 2:  Fuquay-Varina High School will increase Attendance for all students through monitoring and implementing the FVHS Attendance Plan.

     

      SIP members reviewed the data packet in their two committee groups. Members were asked to pick out data points that stood out to them.

    ·       What do you notice?

    ·       How does the data guide us to improve?

    ·       How might this data change the way you teach and/or interact with your students.

     

      Sharing Out

    ·       Proficiency Data on the bar graphs – Hispanic population has been dropping, SWD dropped in math and English, but improved in biology.  Mulitrisk went down across the board.  Promotion went up across the board in 2015-2016. 9th grade promotion rate was awesome (change to 10 pt. grade scale, introduction of FLEX).

    ·       How this data impact the way you may teach? Have more conversations with people around campus who work with specific groups of kids.  Talk to the experts on campus about the students.  Focus more of specific students. 

     

    Add and SIP agenda item for your department meetings. 

    ·       Promote data and effective strategies to your department.  Bring to light the data and concerns to all staff through department meetings. 

    ·      

      Come with agenda items for your committee work next months. 

      Google doc will be sent out to vote of the team.  

  • November 17, 2015

    SIT Minutes 11-17-14

    In attendance:  Barnett, Biller, Burgess, Carolan, Naylor, Tarpley, Bartels, Mackey, Rohrbach, Henderson, Enns, Williams

    Literacy

    ·       Literacy data stored:  we will re-administer the CORE Maze in January.

     

    Attendance

    ·       Ms.  Henderson gathered data on absences for weeks 3-6.  She extrapolated the data to compare each of the grades.

    ·       Ms. Bartles offered the idea of positive reinforcement for attendance (eg.:  free pass to a game, etc.)  Mr. Enns reminded us that we utilized PBIS for this and the students most in need did not respond.

    ·       Challenges to parent/teacher contact:  time, incorrect contact information, unreliable equipment in classrooms (phones), long-distance phone numbers requiring use of office phones.

    ·       Attendance committee:  Develop a plan to get accurate data.  Do we have the resources needed?

    Quarterly Review

    ·       3rd Period Concerns:  seniors and accurate parent contact information.  Possible remedies to combat senior attendance issues include taking accurate attendance, making parent contact, and positive reinforcement.

    ·       Freshman Data:  percent of 9th graders earning one or more Fs is rising.

    ·       Promotion rate is high though a disparity exists for subgroups between percent of population and percent of total population.

    Holly Springs HS

    ·       Leadership = school improvement

    ·       All departments are represented.

    ·       Information is shared at department  meetings the following Monday.

    ·       4th Monday is committee day.  All SIP members are on a committee. 

    ·       Someone is presenting at every SIP meeting.  Two to three committees are present  each Monday.

    ·       Groups are more connected.

    ·       Mr. Enns is looking at a similar model for FVHS.

    Quarterly Action plan

    ·       The difficulty collecting grade and attendance data will be addressed with faculty by Mr. Enns and Ms. Mackey.

    December Meeting

    ·       Determine which committees our school currently has.

    ·       Develop literacy survey questions.

    ·       Develop SIT

  • September 8, 2015

    SIP Meeting Minutes – Tuesday, September 08, 2015 – 2:45pm Media Center

    Welcome Parent Reps! Launi Masterson and Anne Wingler

     

    Breakdown of our 4-year cohort graduation rate report (All students: 79.9% in 2014-2015)

    Ms. Biller and Mr. Edwards looked closer at this

    85.1% - summer graduation rate versus 79.9% - end of year graduation rate

    Summer classes do help students graduate within 5 years. However “summer” is considered the next year, so they don’t count towards our 4-year graduation rate

    Subgroups: Black, Hispanic, SWD, ED – are not meeting the 4 year graduation, but definitely showing success by 5th year graduation

    Targets for AMO are increased every year – it’s a moving target

    ·       Black subgroup did not meet any AMO target, but did show growth in graduation rate overall

    ·       Hispanic subgroup did not meet growth in Reading, but did in Math and Science

    EOC - every subgroup has met growth and are doing well – but graduation rate is still low. Why is there a gap in EOC scores and passing a class?

    70% of students at FVHS are scoring 17 or higher on the ACT

     

    Intense focus on graduation rate – our new main goal we should all be thinking about

     

    AP data – students taking the test increased, students enrolled increased, but students receiving a 3 or higher decreased (because more enrolled and more taking, so bigger pool)

    In 2013-2014 – 182 total AP students and 79% scored a 3 or higher

    In 2014-2015 – over 300 students AP students

    More students took the exam last year because it was free

     

    Ms. Emans: Literacy Team Update – 2 propositions:

    1.     Word of the week: Lists that should be used in your classroom. Designed by Jim Burke. Use that one word for every single class, for that entire week. Example: “Analyze” – Analyze Math, English, Art, PE, Social Studies, etc.

    a)     Students will be able to see how all classes overlap with these words – and what these words mean. They’ll recognize the words on tests as well.

    b)     Proposition approved by team. Mr. Enns will include each weekly word in the bulletin

    2.     Writing prompt – just for 9th graders. Trying to see their levels of writing/literacy.

    a)     They receive 2 quotes and a prompt to analyze the topic and provide evidence based off of the quotes. Have up to 30 minutes to write their response

    b)     Wake County has a rubric that we would follow and use these key points when grading the prompt

    c)     When? During flex period, 3 times a semester. Use the 1st one as baseline and then compare the others for growth.

    d)     Writing prompt awaiting full approval – Depends on dates and what the department meetings decide. One proposal is that the 3 flex periods should be different each time so that the same teachers do not get affected. A rebuttal is that the Math department cannot waste valuable Math flex time on writing. 

  • May 19, 2015

    SIT minutes

    Members Present – Barnett, Bradford, Burgess, K. Williams, Edwards, Emans,  Naylor, Rohrbach, Bartels, Biller, Mackey, Enns, and Grant

    -        Schedule will be implemented based on improving graduation rate.

    -        Two lunch schedule works on paper, but will be dependent on numbers. A positive will be that it will be easier to keep students in a central location. Majority of staff is in favor of two lunch schedule. Students will need to be instructed how to make it through lunch on time. It appears the lunch room has the capacity to deal with the numbers. If possible areas of the campus will have the same lunch to alleviate problems that may arise from student transition.

    -        Flex time will be before 4th on Thursday. It may cause students to not complete homework ahead of time, and may try to skip that time since can’t be held in class like the other flex periods. Bells may not ring for flex time, but if they did it would only be one additional time a day.

    -        Leadership will need to established for literacy committee next year. That person or another representative will need to be a member of the SIT. SIT team also needs representation from the ARTs and CTE departments, but this will be taken care of when department heads are a part of next year’s meetings.  We also need to recruit a parent member for next year. Mr. Brush or someone from ALC should also be a part of the SIT. Parent invite can be done through PTSA or by teacher recommendation.

    -        Teacher working condition survey (TWC) is in spring with results at the end of the year. This can be reviewed by SIT. SACs review will be next year and will need to be reviewed as well. Next year we will establish protocol for how we should analyze data. Feedback on the new schedule will need to be analyzed. Department heads will be expected to report on findings from PLT’s.

    -        Professional development will need to be provided on enrichment activates to be provided during flex periods.

    -        Clear expectations on when data can and should be shared is a goal.

    -        Each department needs to provide documentation on what they are doing to reach goals and improve the grade rate next year. This should be a part of our plan.

    -        No set June meeting but an open invitation will be extended.

  • April 27, 2015

    SIT minutes 4-27-15

    Members present – Bradford, Burgess, Carolan, Edwards, Naylor, Rohrbach, Tarpley, Bartles, Grant, Biller, Mackey, Enns, Stafkey, Hokenburg

    Grant- Data was obtained from 3 Wake county High Schools (Sanderson, Heritage, and Wake Forest) in regards to their bell schedule. Each of these schools uses a specialized bell schedule in order to provide their students with a built in remediation session into the school day. This method is an alternative to working lunch that we currently use and SMART lunch that is being used by some other schools. Students with D’s or F’s are required to do remediation during the designated time. Grades are given weekly to ensure the students are getting the help they need. Those students that don’t receive remediation will receive enrichment opportunities. At Sanderson all of their students stay in the classroom during the flex period at the other 2 schools they do not.

    -SMART lunch does not seem to be a successful alternative or the best option for our school. Sanderson went away from SMART lunch after three years. After moving to a flex they have drastically reduced the number of student F’s.

    - Before retest are given to students they must complete assignments and attend remediation (can be done during flex period)

    - If our schedule were to only hold students needing remediation it would give remaining students freedom, but this could easily be removed if behavior is poor.

    - Each school studied had different options for what is done with the fifth educational day.

    - What are expectations for teachers during that time? Clear expectations would need to be established.

    - Need to involve Dept. chairs in our discussion. This topic will be further explored at our next leadership meeting which will include the SIT team as well.

    - Everything is open for discussion as we move forward. Our primary concern being what is best for students.

    -  PLT? Common planning, after school, early release, etc.

    - Plt could continue to be early in the week so it does not interfere with Friday and early release days, or could be done on Fridays after school to blend better with early release days.

     - PLT Tuesdays is currently our biggest day for tardies and discipline because it gets students out of their routine. Also some concern of missed instructional time with students.

    - Once a week each teacher will have an extra long planning due to the flex period. How could this time be utilized? Could it include some time of collaborative PLT?

    - Possibility to switch back to 2 lunches with each being longer in duration.

    - Grad point and ALC rep. should be at our next leadership meeting.

    - Failure rate is our primary concern.

    - Our action steps (SIP) are very general and plan will require a rewrite.

    - Schedule should be focus of next leadership meeting. Hopefully a consensus can be reached.

    - PTSA will be notified that schedule may change.

    Schedule change PROs

    ·       Peer tutoring allows for increased learning from both parties.

    ·       Increased opportunity to remediate

    ·       More effective than working or SMART lunch

    ·       Plenty of time for make up (0’s should be a non issue)

    ·       Skipping does not seem to increase

    ·       Would eliminate issues with school having so many different schedules

    ·       Time built into day rather than using teacher time after school or trying to get kids to attend. It is mandatory

    CONs

    ·       Increased planning

    ·       Change

    ·       Culture change

    ·       Advisory ?

    ·       PLT change – lack of time for coaches, IEP’s, conferences, etc.  if after school

    ·       Implementation into established school culture can be daunting

  • February 23, 2015

    SIT Meeting Feb. 23

    Attendance- Barnett, Biller, Bradford, Burgess, Carolan, Edwards, Naylor, Rohrbach, Tarpley, Bartles, Mackey, Enns, Williams, Smith, Hokenburg, Grant, Zahoroday

    -        Voted for Leadership of SIT

    Attendance – Williams –Fvhs has 2067 students enrolled and 94.7 attendance. This number is up from 94.2% as recorded in December. This is a significant jump due to our large population and reflects positively on our new attendance procedures. Data shows that attendance is improving. This will be revisited in March.

    -        Some students were dropped due to consecutive absences and we are learning why not present thanks to the attendance policy and calling home procedures are.

    -        Parent contact will be the key to keep kids skipping rather than being tardy.

    -        SIT would like to see data on most serious offenders (attendance) and their grades.

    Freshman Data – Biller – Spring 2014 failures were much higher than fall 2014, but was similar to that of the fall of 2013.

    -        Data is trending in the right direction, but it will be important to compare to the end of the year data.

    -        Data will be shared with individual departments so they have the information in their PLT’s. Demographics can also be shared.

    -        Team will need to see more data including the spring of 2015 and each semester of the next 3 years in order to get a better view of any trends.

    -        Mrs. Grant (intervention coordinator) and her duties could be added to the SIP action steps. (she should be given an at risk advisory in order to better assist with those students ). May need a more targeted or active action plan from the SIT.

    Literacy Survey Update – Barnett –

    -        We now have access to data that can be compared from EOG’s as students enter high school, and after their sophomore year. Lexile scores can be accessed by Mr. Enns.

    -        Can middle school lexile scores help determine course placement?

    -        We need to work smarter around registration and recommendations.

    -        New survey gages how staff looks at literacy but is time consuming.

    -        Quick survey is to be given in an upcoming PLT.

    Williams and Biller will continue to collect relevant data, and Barnett will update Literacy findings.. SIT will come to next meeting with ideas on changing action steps.

    Next Meeting Monday March 30 at 2:45

  • October 27, 2014

    SIT Minutes 10-27-14
    -Barnett, Biller, Edwards, Mackey, Naylor, Carolan, Hokenburg, Bradford, Bartels, Rohrbach
    -Meeting plan for SIT year
    - We should review data from teacher working conditions in August along with student surveys
    On years when they are done.
    - EOC data should be available for review in our September meeting.
    - October we will plan for November Quarterly review.
    - November meeting will be Quarterly review.
    - In December we will share out the Quarterly review findings to PLT’s, committees, etc. Develop questions for the literacy survey.
    - January plans next Quarterly review and give teacher survey.
    - February will be Quarterly review.
    - March we will review student achievement data from 1st semester (March 20th end quarter), and share quarterly review data.
    - April is a Quarterly review.
    - May – Revisit plan and make adjustments and share quarterly review information.
    We need a data team representative in order to share information more affectively.
    Next month will be a Quarterly review.
    Literacy
    - Tarpley has literacy data from the Core Maze. 84% of freshmen in skinnies are at benchmark. The test given was the 8th grade version, but the next test will be the 9th grade test.
    - Two retest will be given this year using the 9th grade test.
    - Would Fry readability be a better test option? Core Maze may not be a great reflection of comprehension.
    - We need to use consistent tools in order to show growth.
    - We will be getting a new data collection tool. What will we do with hat data?
    - Tarpley will send her literacy data to Biller and Hokenburg. That will then be shared with the Skinnies teachers.
    - Next Month data should be compiled into spreadsheet for review (already done).
    - In future this test could be given to all students, but that decision will be made in May.
    Attendance data
    - Data will be collected by Williams and the new student teacher will assist.
    - In Dec. administration will share with staff the importance of attendance.
    PLT
    - To be established at a later date.
    Freshmen Failures
    - Biller will share freshmen failure data, but having issue with percentages due to Powerschool difficulties.
    - Biller will send out Freshmen News Letter.
    Next Meeting Quarterly Review Nov. 17, 2014 at 245 in rm. 617
  • September 29, 2014

    Sit Minutes 9-29-2014
    Team Members Present: Edwards, Biller, Mackey, Williams, Barnett, Bradford, Burgess, Carolan, Rohrbach, Willis, Tarpley, Hokenberg, Bartels.
    - At the county meeting Mrs. Mackey had the opportunity to see what other schools are doing in their SIT. In the future our plan will be to merge our SIT and leadership team in some fashion. This will hopefully allow meetings to be more productive, by allowing the two groups to have better communication. Administration is present at both meeting and they will supply the group with needed data.
    - There is currently no parent representative on our committee, but we are actively seeking one to volunteer.
    - Our comprehensive needs assessment deadline is 9/30. Working conditions and academic data need to be included.
    Data Strengths
    - 5 year graduation rate is above the county average.
    - Half of our students are performing at level 4 and 5 on their end of course tests.
    - Our school has shown growth over the last two years.
    - 12 of 14 AMO targets met in English and BIO
    - 61% of total population earned a 3 or above and 49% a level 4 or 5.
    Data weaknesses
    - Our 4 year graduation rate is down. We are currently below the schools in our area and the county average as of last year. This was the first decrease for our school in several years.
    (Several of our students graduated in the summer session but this data counts towards the 5 year rate not the 4)
    - 40% of our students performed at level 1 or 2.
    - AMO targets were not met by several different sub groups (data on chart provided).
    Working conditions
    Positives
    - FVHS reported having more time to collaborate than schools state wide.
    - Mentor support for new teachers.
    - FVHS faculty believes this school is a good place to work.
    Negatives
    - In teachers opinions there are concerns in regards to technology, reliable internet access, facilities, and student discipline.
    - More Teachers made reference to being interested in leaving the teaching profession.
    - We had a 25% turnover rate last year.
    - The survey showed a decline in the perceived input teachers have in discipline.
    - Effort needs to be made in minimizing teacher paper work.
    - The past 2 years show FVHS teachers are spending more time outside of the normal day working in order to get their job done.
    DATA – Mrs. Tarpley
    Literacy core Maze was administered to freshmen students in skinnies. She will need help grading those tests and with data entry. We will retest at the mid year and end of the year in order to compare scores.
    Attendance Data – Mr. Williams and Ms. Biller
    Data was somewhat difficult to determine. Data will be retrieved again for our next meeting and again for our quarterly review in Nov.
    Freshmen failing will be calculated not the total number of classes failed.
    Attendance needs to be entered daily for data to be beneficial. Teachers will be sent a list of high risk students. Admin. is building an attendance policy.
    Next Meeting 10/27 at 2:45
  • August 20, 2014

    Sit Minutes 9/20
    Barnett, Biller, Bradford, Burges, Carolan, Edwards, Naylor, Rohrbach, Tarpley, Willis, Mackey, Enns, Ashburn, Williams, Bartles, R. Smith
    - Comprehensive needs assessment needs to be up to date
    - Review Data
    - Graduation Rate – Does not include summer data. 13 students graduated, but will be counted towards 5 years rate not the 4 year rate. 5 Year rate increased. 4 year rate dropped from 84% to 78 % for the 13-14. Students with disabilities dropped significantly as did LEP, economically disadvantaged students. Those groups have small numbers and change can appear more dramatic.
    - Literacy - a little over half of freshmen (53 %) are at level 3 or higher on their EOG scores. This is well above the district average (50.2) and the state (41). Lexile score is derived from EOG’s. There is a different test we may have the possibility of using called “Core Maze”. This could be administered to students in skinnies and ICR, and is only a 3 minute test that can be done in the beginning, middle, and end of class. NEWSELA.com is a program that will allow teachers to use the data from those tests to give students information at the appropriate reading level. Teachers will also need to receive training in order to develop techniques for improving literacy. Next year incoming freshmen will have a “pathfinder” score from 8th grade that could possibly be tested in high school as well.
    - Attendance – 50% of incoming freshman missed over 7 days. We need an attendance incentive, as a positive reinforcement. Our schools daily attendance appears to be great, but one per period basis we have an issue. This would indicate a skipping problem. School wide practices need to be installed to ensure teachers are on the same page and to lesson kids wondering the halls. PBIS and a couple of other committees may be combined in order to form a larger intervention committee. This would promote idea sharing and lesson the information that is lost in translation. Can power schools supply a screen for teachers to view a student’s daily attendance e easily. This would allow teachers to monitor their own classes. New hall pass should be provided to staff.
    - PLT – End of course and final exam data. Positive growth was seen in English and math. Graduation rates include drop outs and transfers. Vast majority of senior go on to graduate. Freshmen year is vital to graduation. 79 total promotions occurred this summer across grade levels.
    - Process checks – Attendance – report from power schools to be done every 3 weeks by Biller and Williams in the intervention committee.
    PLT – How to track? How to initiate “core maze”? Tarpley will lead this action along with Ashburn. Core maze will be administered during the first 10 days.
    Mon. September 29 at 2:40 is next meeting
CLOSE