2019 Young Leaders Summit (YLS)
Posted by Stephanie Nelson on 3/1/2019
Below, you will find information on the 2019 Young Leaders Summit (YLS), available to exceptional high school juniors from all backgrounds. This program is presented by the Youth Leadership Consortium, an HSF-led partnership to serve students of all backgrounds.
The deadline for students to apply is next Friday, March 8, 2019 at 1:00pm PST. To apply, students must simply create a profile as a "student" and complete the "YLS 2019 Student Application".
Young Leaders Summit (YLS)
Applications now open to high school juniors from all backgrounds!
The Young Leaders Summit, presented by the Youth Leadership Consortium (YLC), is a free, four-day, overnight, college empowerment conference at the University of Chicago for a diverse cohort of 200 low-income high school juniors from all ethnic backgrounds, selected through a competitive application process. It is designed to give these young leaders the practical tools they need to successfully apply to top universities, have full access to scholarship and financial aid opportunities, and set a course for academic and career success.
The Youth Leadership Consortium is a partnership, led by HSF, of organizations brought together by the mission to provide students and families of all backgrounds and ethnicitieswith the knowledge and resources to successfully complete a higher education.
How can students apply?
- Go to the YLC website and create a profile as a “Student”
- View “YLS 2019 Student Application” on their Dashboard
- August 8–11, 2019 – University of Chicago
- Current high school junior (Class of 2020)
- Students from all ethnic backgrounds are welcome to apply
- Low income, as defined by Pell eligibility (more details are included in the application)
- 3.0 GPA or above, on a 4.0 scale, or equivalent based on your school scale
- Currently attend high school in the United States or a US territory
- Plan to enroll full-time, in a four-year degree program, at a US accredited, not-for-profit, private or public college or university after high school graduation
Is there a cost to attend YLS?
- No, it is FREE to apply and participate (room and dining covered by YLS)
- Round-trip transportation to Chicago will be provided for students that request financial assistance within the application