Spartan Update Feb. 26, 2023
Spartan Update: February 26, 2023
Great things happen on Dixon Drive!
Check out the SHS Black History Program feature on ABC 11 – bravo to all who participated!
Twitter: @SpartanTweets Facebook: @SandersonHS Instagram: @shsspartans
Sanderson PTO Sanderson Foundation SHS Alumni
Sanderson PTO Spartan Voice Newsletter
Click here to view previous Spartan updates
SAVE THE DATE
- February 28: Last day for JROTC book drive (see below for details)
- March 5: AP Exam Registration Deadline
- March 7: Teacher Workday – No School
- March 8: ACT for ALL 11th GRADE – review modified Bell Schedule
- March 10: Cap & Gown Delivery from Jostens during lunch in gym lobby
- March 25: Midtown Throwdown Tennis Tournament, Register Here
REMINDERS & UPDATES
Course registration for 23-24
Rising 10th – 12th grade students will register for courses with their counselors during the dates of February 27 through March 24. Students must complete their Course Registration Sheet and bring it to the registration session. Detailed information regarding Course Registration for 2023-24 can be found on our Sanderson website: Course Registration Information.
ACT FOR ALL 11th GRADE STUDENTS
Testing will take place March 8, 2023. Click to view Bell Schedule. Students will need to bring a charged Chromebook and a calculator. Students will learn their testing location closer to the testing date. No action is needed by students to register. Online Practice Tests are available at https://tn.actonline.act.org/client/index.html
Questions should be directed to Greta Lumsden at firstname.lastname@example.org
2023 AP EXAM INFORMATION
In preparation for AP Exams in May, students and families should review this information.
Students must register YES or NO for an AP exam by March 5
This deadline includes registering for exam in course that student are not currently taking (Exam fee = $97)
SOS (Signs of Suicide) lesson
The adolescent years are marked by a roller-coaster ride of emotions—difficult for youths, their parents, and educators. It is easy to misread depression as normal adolescent turmoil; however, depression (among the most common of mental illnesses) appears to be occurring at a much earlier age. Depression, which is treatable, is a leading risk factor for suicide. In addition, self-injury has become a growing problem among youth. To proactively address these issues, Sanderson is offering depression awareness and suicide prevention training as part of the SOS Signs of Suicide® Prevention Program.
The SOS (Signs of Suicide) lesson will be presented to freshman Healthful Living classrooms on Tuesday February 28th and Wednesday, April 12th.
Our goals in participating in this program are straightforward:
- To help our students understand that depression is a treatable illness
- To explain that suicide is a preventable tragedy that often occurs as a result of untreated depression
- To provide students training in how to identify serious depression and potential suicidality in themselves or a friend
- To impress upon youth that they can help themselves or a friend by taking the simple step of talking to a responsible adult about their concerns
- To help students know whom in the school they can turn to for help, if they need it
**Parent letters have been sent home with students; you may opt your child out of the presentation by returning the signed SOS letter. ** For questions, contact SAP Counselor Rashunda Jennings.
JROTC Book Drive
For the second year in a row, Sanderson’s JROTC is an official drop-off host for WAKE-Up and Read’s 10th Annual Children’s Book Drive. Bring your new or gently used books for children up to age 12 to Room 195 or the Media Center from now until February 28.
EF Tours Hosted by Sanderson Teachers
Opportunities for world travel with EF Tours and some of our Sanderson staff are available now. Please visit our Activities page for more information.
UPDATES FOR CLASS OF 2023
From the 2023 Senior Boosters
Please participate in the June 2023 Graduation Ticket Exchange by carefully editing this Google Sheet (https://tinyurl.com/shs2023graduation)
Please only edit the row that applies to YOUR transaction.
You may be seeking tickets, claiming tickets, or giving tickets.
It's vitally important that everyone respect that this is a live document and changes may not be reversible. Thank you! Questions - Melissa St. John email@example.com
ATHLETIC UPDATES FROM A.D. NEAL
Congratulations to the Varsity Boys BB Team and Coaches for a great season!
- Baseball: Coach Laughlin; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Women’s Soccer: Coach Worley; email@example.com
- Track: Coach Hammond; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Softball: Coach Schramm; email@example.com
- Men’s Lacrosse: Coach Farrow; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Women’s Lacrosse: Coach Farrow; email@example.com
- Men’s Tennis: Coach Disbrow; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Men’s Golf: Coach Shaw; email@example.com
Support the Sanderson Athletic Club (SAC)
The Annual Sports Pass permits entry into all regular season home athletic events for Fall, Winter, & Spring Sports Seasons. Order your Annual Sports Passes Here