Spartan Update Feb. 21, 2023
Spartan Update: February 19, 2023
Enjoy your long weekend, Spartans!
Meet the Teacher Night is this Thursday Feb. 23 – we hope to see you there. 1st period starts at 5:30pm!
Twitter: @SpartanTweets Facebook: @SandersonHS Instagram: @shsspartans
Sanderson PTO Sanderson Foundation SHS Alumni
Sanderson PTO Spartan Voice Newsletter
Click here to view previous Spartan updates
SAVE THE DATE
- February 20: President’s Day – No School
- February 23: Spring Meet the Teacher Night 5-6:30pm
- February 28: Last day for JROTC book drive (see below for details)
- March 5: AP Exam Registration Deadline
- March 7: Teacher Workday – No School
- March 8: ACT for ALL 11th GRADE – review modified Bell Schedule
- March 8: SR Cap 7 Gown Pictures by Lifetouch (optional, sign up required)
- March 10: Cap & Gown Delivery from Jostens during lunch in gym lobby
- March 25: Midtown Throwdown Tennis Tournament, Register Here
REMINDERS & UPDATES
Course registration for 23-24 kicks off Feb. 21
Counselors will be meeting with students to assist in registering for courses throughout the last two weeks of February and into March. Detailed information regarding Course Registration for 2023-24 can be found on our Sanderson website: Course Registration Information.
2023 AP EXAM INFORMATION
In preparation for AP Exams in May, students and families should review this information.
Students must register YES or NO for an AP exam by March 5th
This deadline includes registering for exam in course that student are not currently taking (Exam fee = $97)
SOS (Signs of Suicide) lesson
The adolescent years are marked by a roller-coaster ride of emotions—difficult for youths, their parents, and educators. It is easy to misread depression as normal adolescent turmoil; however, depression (among the most common of mental illnesses) appears to be occurring at a much earlier age. Depression, which is treatable, is a leading risk factor for suicide. In addition, self-injury has become a growing problem among youth. To proactively address these issues, Sanderson is offering depression awareness and suicide prevention training as part of the SOS Signs of Suicide® Prevention Program.
The SOS (Signs of Suicide) lesson will be presented to freshman Healthful Living classrooms on Thursday, February 23rd, Tuesday February 28th and Wednesday, April 12th.
Our goals in participating in this program are straightforward:
- To help our students understand that depression is a treatable illness
- To explain that suicide is a preventable tragedy that often occurs as a result of untreated depression
- To provide students training in how to identify serious depression and potential suicidality in themselves or a friend
- To impress upon youth that they can help themselves or a friend by taking the simple step of talking to a responsible adult about their concerns
- To help students know whom in the school they can turn to for help, if they need it
**Parent letters have been sent home with students; you may opt your child out of the presentation by returning the signed SOS letter. ** For questions, contact SAP Counselor Rashunda Jennings.
ACT FOR ALL JUNIORS MARCH 8
The ACT will be given to all 11th graders at SHS on Wednesday, March 8. The test will be given online so students will need their charged chromebooks that day. No action is needed by students to register.
Online Practice Tests are available at https://tn.actonline.act.org/client/index.html
Questions should be directed to Greta Lumsden at email@example.com
Student Chromebook Charger Replacement Policy
A $30 fee will be assessed in PowerSchool for any student who requires a replacement Chromebook charger. Due to the high number of lost chargers, schools are implementing this policy to help students be more accountable for their equipment. When the replacement charger is returned, along with the Chromebook, prior to the student leaving WCPSS (i.e., graduation or move), the fee will be erased from their account. If the charger is not returned with the Chromebook, the $30 fee will be due from the student.
JROTC Book Drive
For the second year in a row, Sanderson’s JROTC is an official drop-off host for WAKE-Up and Read’s 10th Annual Children’s Book Drive. Bring your new or gently used books for children up to age 12 to Room 195 or the Media Center from now until February 28th
EF Tours Hosted by Sanderson Teachers
Opportunities for world travel with EF Tours and some of our Sanderson staff are available now. Please visit our Activities page for more information.
UPDATES FOR CLASS OF 2023
SENIOR CAP & GOWN PICTURES (optional)
Prestige Portraits by Lifetouch will be at Sanderson to photograph seniors in a Cap and Gown on Wednesday, March 8, 2023. Cap and gown can be borrowed from Lifetouch during the photography session. These portraits are optional, with a sitting fee of $10.
If you are interested in a portrait session, complete this form indicating which time frame you prefer. Time slots will be between 8:00-11:00 and 11:30-2:00. A specific time slot will be assigned to you closer to the date of the portrait sessions.
Seniors will need to check student email for updates/confirmed time. We will do our best to honor all requests. Slots will be designated on a first-come, first-served basis.
From the 2023 Senior Boosters
Please participate in the June 2023 Graduation Ticket Exchange by carefully editing this Google Sheet (https://tinyurl.com/shs2023graduation)
Please only edit the row that applies to YOUR transaction.
You may be seeking tickets, claiming tickets, or giving tickets.
It's vitally important that everyone respect that this is a live document and changes may not be reversible. Thank you! Questions - Melissa St. John firstname.lastname@example.org
ATHLETIC UPDATES FROM A.D. NEAL
Congrats to the swim team who participated in the 4A State swim championships on Friday 10th! Scoring at the state meet were Aaron D. (finished 5th in 200 freestyle and 10th in 500 freestyle) and Saylor P. (15th in 100 breaststroke). Aaron D. won the conference championship and regional championship in the 200 freestyle.
- Baseball: Coach Laughlin; email@example.com
- Women’s Soccer: Coach Worley; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Track: Coach Hammond; email@example.com
- Softball: Coach Schramm; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Men’s Lacrosse: Coach Farrow; email@example.com
- Women’s Lacrosse: Coach Farrow; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Men’s Tennis: Coach Disbrow; email@example.com
- Men’s Golf: Coach Shaw; firstname.lastname@example.org
Support the Sanderson Athletic Club (SAC)
The Annual Sports Pass permits entry into all regular season home athletic events for Fall, Winter, & Spring Sports Seasons. Order your Annual Sports Passes Here