Spartan Update For May 1, 2022
Spartan Weekly: May 1, 2022
There were so many great events this April at Sanderson! Mama Mia, competitive athletics, Equity Team family night, and more. And now we are in full Prom prep mode!
Best wishes to all students taking AP exams next week – YOU GOT THIS! Schedule details are posted below.
Sanderson PTO Spartan Voice Newsletter
SAVE THE DATE
- April 29: SENIORS PAST DUE! COMPLETE ASAP Scholarship Reporting Form & Senior Survey
- May 1: National Principal Day – SEND SOME LOVE TO Dr. Dula!!
- May 2: Teacher Workday – No School (except scheduled AP exams!)
- May 2-5: Teacher Appreciation & CNS (Child Nutrition) Appreciation Week
- Thanks in advance to our amazing PTO for celebrating staff all week!
- May 4: Cap/Gown Pick Up in Gym Lobby at lunch (includes tassel sales – cash only)
- May 14: Prom 2022 7pm at Sanderson
- May 20: Spartan Awards Day
- May 21: JROTC Military Ball
- May 27: Senior Assembly & Picnic
- May 31: Spartans of Excellence Virtual Ceremony 5pm
- June 5: Senior Baccalaureate Service at Trinity Baptist
UPDATES & REMINDERS
AP EXAM INFORMATION
View the AP Testing schedule here
- AP exams begin on Monday, May 2nd (Teacher Workday). Students will leave school after they have completed their exams for that day.
- Arrive 30 min before your exam starts
- Morning exam – be in place at 7:30 am
- Afternoon exam – be in place at 11:30 am
- What to Bring on Exam Day
- No food, drink, smart watches, garmin, cell phone etc– plan ahead! These items will be collected for exam.
- Testing Locations: Pods & Trailers (students should make their way to the area asap)
- Students will receive their testing location at the mandatory AP Student Meetings
- Check WCPSS student email for AP Exam Updates
- Students who miss or cancel their exam will be charged $40/per exam.
- Any Questions Contact: Durenda Johnson Ward, Dean of Students, @firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 919-881-4800 ext: 24826.
Useful AP Links:
JUST FOR SENIORS!
All Seniors Fees and Fines are required to be paid prior to graduation and picking up stole! Your senior’s fee is located under “Fees” in PowerSchool. Reach out to Lisa Messick (email@example.com) with any questions regarding your student’s fees/fines.
Online payments only https://bit.ly/SandersonHS-OSP
Jostens will be on campus on Wednesday, May 4th during lunch in the gym lobby to deliver cap & gown units and senior products. All items must be paid for in full before students can receive their products.
Online payments must be made 48 hours prior to the delivery date. Cash or money order only will be accepted on the delivery date.
If you still need to place an order, please go to www.jostens.com by Sunday May 1st (today!)
Parents: please remind your seniors to complete the Senior Survey and Senior Scholarships by YESTERDAY! We will not be able to recognize your child and their scholarships at the Senior Awards Ceremony if we do not have this information.
Senior Baccalaureate Service June 5th 4pm Trinity Baptist
The Sanderson High School Baccalaureate Service will be held on June 5, 2022 at 4:00 at Trinity Baptist Church on Six Forks Road. Seniors should wear their gowns (no caps) and be at Trinity by 3:40. The speaker this year is a Sanderson Community member. All Seniors and their families are invited. This event does not require tickets. Baccalaureate is sponsored by the Senior Boosters. For questions contact Brooke Stickney (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Robin Vincent (email@example.com).
MESSAGE FROM YEARBOOK STAFF
Yearbooks are almost gone! Guarantee your student a copy of this year's book by going to www.jostensyearbooks.com and reserving yours today!
YOUR FEEDBACK IS NEEDED
Wake County Public Schools is administering a District Wide Family Survey through Friday, May 6. This survey provides families the opportunity to provide valuable information and a high-quality data source for planning and School Improvement at Sanderson.
Safety MessageS from Dr. Dula
- Carpool: Do not drop off / pick up your student on Dixon Drive or the Bus Lot. This is a significant safety hazard! Use the carpool lane only.
- Secured Entrances: Remind your student not to pull/yank open locked doors for entrance to the building. Students need to utilize the doorbell for access to the building. Students yanking on locked doors are damaging property and creating a safety issue.
- False Fire Alarm: Smoke and fire alarms and other emergency systems are vital for the safe operations of schools and must not be tampered with. Smoking/vaping interferes with the operation of our fire alarms. No student shall interfere with or damage any part of a fire alarm, fire detection, smoke detection, fire extinguishing system, or emergency escape system. This includes smoking/vaping. False fire alarms are Level 2 offenses and may result in suspensions.
PROM 2022 - Let's Meet in Vegas!
The Class of 2023 cordially invites all Juniors and Seniors to join us for prom from 7-11 p.m. on May 14! Tickets for students, plus their dates, are on sale beginning Monday, April 18 via OSP.
All non-Sanderson dates must complete a form and submit it to the main office no later than May 6 at 2:20 p.m. Approval for dates must be received prior to purchasing tickets. Forms can be found online or in room 136.
We need your support! Donate $25 to sponsor a Sanderson student with financial need. Donate online.
For questions, please contact Mrs. Doss (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ms. Martinez (email@example.com).
MESSAGE FROM SENIOR BOOSTERS
We need you! Volunteer to help with Senior Picnic
Special request to class off 2023 (Junior) Parents
Your students will be seniors before you know it! If you are interested in serving on the Senior Booster committee to organize events (senior breakfast and caravan, baccalaureate, senior picnic, etc.) for your students please email Kristie Boyd (current senior booster committee president) at firstname.lastname@example.org. The main positions needed right away are President and Treasurer
COVID-19 VOLUNTARY TESTING
Sanderson High School Voluntary Covid 19 Testing for Students and Staff. The purpose of this program is to assist in efforts to monitor the spread of COVID-19 in the community
When: Tuesdays starting March 29 until further notice
Testing Time: 1:30 - 2:45pm (4th period and after school)
Registration is required prior to participation:
Questions: Contact AP Trenton Brown at email@example.com
OPPORTUNITIES FOR STUDENTS
- EF Tours with Sanderson Teachers
Have you ever wanted to travel outside the U.S.? There are plenty of opportunities to travel in the upcoming years. SHS teachers will offer a couple of trips each summer so that you can choose what works best for you. These trips are NOT sponsored by WCPSS. Explore opportunities here.
- Message from Ms. Tanner re: Europe 2023
- I want to make sure everyone is aware of some once-in-a-lifetime travel opportunities! Germany and Switzerland in June of 2023 is going to be an incredible 11-day trip beginning in Berlin traveling through an ice cave in the Alps, down to Switzerland on an Eco-sustainability tour exploring the most advanced technology and sustainability practices in the world. Your student will have the opportunity to earn high school or college credit while having the time of their lives! We will be talking about all of the above and more at our online or in person informational meeting on Thursday May 12th at 6pm. Please join our meeting to hear all the details including the itinerary, dates, and cost of this trip.
- Please click here to RSVP for the meeting: https://bit.ly/3LmGnOb
- ASAP to confirm your status. There are limited spots on this tour, so we would love to have you attend this meeting to learn more about this exciting opportunity!
PARKING & TRANSPORTATION UPDATES
- Parking for all athletic/extracurricular events: Do not park along the stadium lot driveway as this impedes buses and other vehicles from safe entry/exit. All overflow stadium/auditorium parking is in the main entry parking lot.
- Live Bus Updates: Parents, Staff and Students can utilize this tool to see if a bus route is running LATE or has NO DRIVER AVAILABLE. We are continuing to have Bus Driver shortages in Transportation and LIVE BUS UPDATE is a great tool to answer a lot of bus questions. As always when we know a bus route will be NOT BE COVERED/NO DRIVER AVAILABLE we will communicate this as soon as we can.