21/22 Parent Volunteer Info
2021-2022 Parent Volunteer Information
Below you will find the most recent details regarding volunteering for the current school year. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Thank you!
Making an Appointment to Renew or Register to Volunteer
At this time, non-essential visitors are not permitted inside of the school building during the day, so we would like for our parents to come in to register and renew volunteer registration before school. There are several slots that are available. We will send out an additional link at a later time to sign up for the months of September and beyond. Please sign up for the date and time that works best for your schedule. Additional information you will need:
- Please click on this Signup Genius link to pick a date and time: https://www.
- The day of your appointment:
- Remember to bring your license with you when you arrive on the campus.
- Once you arrive on campus, please come to the main entrance and ring the doorbell. Our staff will direct you to the correct location and give you the next steps. The entire process should take 10 minutes or less.
Volunteer Guidelines for 2021-2022
Following are the procedures for reactivation for continuing volunteers and the process for new volunteers to obtain Criminal Record Check (CRC) clearance in 2021-22. There have been several changes in procedures, including the addition of a new requirement for current WCPSS employees who want to volunteer to register. We will send out a separate communication next week with directions on how to come on campus to complete registration.
- NC DHHS Guidelines--These guidelines currently limit non-essential visitors and activities involving external groups or organizations. Principals have discretion to determine whether a visitor is essential. If the principal determines that the visitor is essential to an activity or daily operations of the school, he or she may permit the visitor to be on campus.
- Volunteer vs. Guest--
- Guests are visitors who are never left alone with students. They do not need background checks. Typical examples would include speakers, presenters and community members/parents attending a school event.
- Volunteers are visitors who may be alone with students at any point, including in a virtual setting.
- Volunteers do require background checks.
- There are no "levels" of volunteer status. You are either a volunteer who may be alone with students or you aren't. Typical examples range from a community volunteer who reads with a child to an overnight chaperone, as well as field day workers, testing proctors, and volunteer coaches. The same background check is done for every type of volunteer.
- New Registration Process for Employees that want to Volunteer--
- Although WCPSS employees do not have to go through a criminal record check to volunteer, they will now need to register.
- Reactivation for Continuing Volunteers 2021-2022--
- Reactivating volunteers may go to any WCPSS work site and register through wcpss.net by selecting the Community tab, and then selecting Volunteer.
- Individuals previously approved to volunteer must reactivate by 4 p.m. on October 29, 2021.
- Current volunteers, who provided a valid email address, will receive an email 15 days and 30 days prior to the expiration of their volunteer status reminding them to reactivate.
- New Volunteers for 2021-2022--
- All new volunteer applicants must register and have an approved criminal record check prior to engaging in volunteer work.
- New volunteer applicants may go to any WCPSS work site and register through wcpss.net by selecting the Community tab, and then selecting Volunteer.
- Applicants will be notified by email once their application has been approved.
- Applicants who are not approved will receive notice from Employee Relations.
Altonia Bransome, Principal