Panther Newsletter 10/12/19
We had another great week here at JDE. There are several announcements below. Have a great weekend!
JDE Food Drive--Jones Dairy Elementary School is having a food drive from October 14-25 to support The Wake Relief Food Pantry which provides food for those in need. There will be large boxes for each grade level outside the main hall for drop off.
Each grade will be collecting different items. The top grade level in K-2 that collects the most items will get to bring in their favorite stuffed animal for a day, and the top grade level in 3-5 will get to dress up as their favorite sports player or character for a day.
- PAWSitivity Fun Run--Tracks 1 and 2--Friday, October 18, 2019--
Tracks 1 & 2 Parents- Please don’t forget to register your student for the upcoming PAWSitivity Run. This run is put on solely by PTA volunteers and we need the support of all of our students and staff to make it successful and reach our goal of $40,000. Thanks to everyone who have already registered and donated.
*We are issuing a new challenge to students this week that if they can get an additional $10,000 collected by next Thursday at 8am then they will earn music in the cafeteria during lunch that day.
Volunteers are still needed the day of the run:
- JDE Performing Panthers--Interest Meeting--Thursday, October 17, 2019--
Performing Panthers is a club for 3rd - 5th grade students that will meet bi-weekly to learn dances, skits, or songs. Students will perform at designated school and community events while promoting school spirit. The first performance is the Jones Dairy Reading Fair on Thursday, November 7th at 6:30. Students that are interested should attend the meeting on Thursday, October 17 at 7:45 am in the JDE Chorus Room. Please see the attached flyer, PERFORMING Panthers.pdf , for more information.
5th Annual JDE Reading Fair--Thursday, November 7, 2019- Thank you to all the students and families that signed up to participate in this year's Reading Fair. We have 285 students participating this year!! The Reading Fair is Thursday, November 7th. ALL families are welcome. Come out and support our students who are making a board or performing during this event!
Readvolution--Readvolution is back again this year! The reading program will run until Friday, December 6. Students that meet their goal of 20 minutes of reading per day (800 minutes total) will be eligible for two complimentary ticket vouchers to a Carolina Hurricanes game. Please read this Readvolution Parent Letter for more information.
- Make up days for Tracks 1, 3, and 4-- These three tracks will make up the two days missed this week on Saturday, November 16 and Saturday, December 7. Breakfast will be served on these two Saturdays. Students will be able to purchase the meal the same way they normally do during the week if they choose to do so.
Parent Teacher Association News
- Please link your Harris Teeter and Lowe's Foods cards--Thank you to those who have returned the form to link your Lowe’s Foods and Harris Teeter savings cards to JDE. If you haven’t done so please return it ASAP or email Theresa, our VP of Fundraising, at email@example.com with your card information and she will get your cards linked. *Please note that linking your cards do not affect your fuel rewards or give anyone access to your store account.*
- Join the PTA--It is never too late to get involved! If you would like to join the JDE PTA you may pay online at this site: https://jonesdairy.
- All continuing volunteers approved for the 2019-2020 school year MUST reactivate as a volunteer no later than 4:00 p.m. on October 31, 2019. Reactivating volunteers may go to any WCPSS school or work site to renew. After October 31, 2019, individuals previously approved may not volunteer without a new criminal record check.
Bus Transportation Matters
- Alternate bus stop requests can be submitted starting on Friday, July 19. Please click on this link to submit a request: https://www.wcpss.
- If you have questions and would like to speak to the Transportation Department, they can be reached at 919-805-3030. You may also contact them via their website at https://www.wcpss.net/Page/
- Consider tracking your child’s bus by downloading the Here Comes the Bus Application. More information can be found on this site: https://www.wcpss.net/
- The carpool procedures for this year can be read by clicking the link below. Please let our staff know if you have any questions.
- Carpool: Car Pool Directions for Parents (1).docx
- Mr. Rashleigh, the music teacher, is still in charge of carpool and walker tags. Please contact him if you need more information.
Altonia Bransome, Principal