HES HERO 5.12.23
At HES we are committed to creating a safe and nurturing environment that partners with families to promote high expectations, critical thinking, and the belief that other people matter. Students will leave HES equipped to be global life-long learners who are advocates for change.
May 16 Tr 3&4 Interims Home
May 17 Hat Day
May 18 6:00 General PTA Meeting - virtual
May 19 Fun Run – All Tracks, All Grades
May 22-26 Teacher Appreciation Week
May 22 HERO Awards at Lunch - All Tracks
May 23 Tr 1 Gr 3-5 EOG ELA
May 24 Tr 1 Gr 3-5 EOG Math
May 25 Tr 1 Gr 3-5 Make-ups
May 26 Tr 1 Gr 3-5 EOG Sci/RtA
May 29 HOLIDAY
June 1 Tr 1,3,4 Birthday Lunch
4:30-6:00 Meet the Teacher
6:15 K Orientation
June 2 Tr 1 Last Day
Gr 5 1:45 Clap out
So many exciting events are occurring to allow students to demonstrate their learning of academic content and our HERO expectations. We just completed our Letterland Parade – it was AWESOME!!! Our K-2 students were so proud parading through the school as Vicky Violet, Quarrelsome Queen, Clever Cat, etc. while our 3-5 graders were so supportive and complimentary of the younger students. They truly demonstrated “Other People Matter.” Several grade levels are also involved on Better World Day. Second graders are planting gardens today with the assistance of the HHS students, students in fourth grade are collecting blankets and towels for Saving Grade Animal Shelter and first grade will be participating in their Better World Day later this month.
All students in grades 3-5 will take the EOGs during the last 10 days of their school year. Track 1 schedule is above. Students who score a level 3 or higher are considered proficient. Students who have received primarily 3s and 4s in Literacy on their report card in quarter 3 and 4 AND DO NOT score a level 3 on the EOG are eligible for a readministration. Please read this link for more information. Readministration Information for Parents
- Our PTA Fun Run is next Friday!!!! This is our PTA largest fundraiser for the year. Our goal is 25,000. As of today students have raised over 5,000.00. As a school we have earned 10 extra minutes of recess and we will have hat day on Wed. 5/17 (all students are allowed to wear hats in school). We are trying to earn pajama day, popsicle party and schoolwide movie and popcorn. Please considering donating and encouraging children to ask grandparents and other family members. You can donate here: Fun Run Donations
- Also, next Friday WRAL – Carpool Casanova will be in morning carpool supporting our PTA Fun Run
We have just ONE WEEK left until Our Fun Run on May 19th, and we really need your help to meet our $25,000 goal. We are raising money for a 42 foot playground shade structure. This is our biggest fundraiser of the year, and all of our students enjoy it so much! We have fun activities planned, as well as exciting incentives for each goal we meet.
- We need your help to make our Fun Run a success! You can donate here: Fun Run Donations
- We also need volunteers to help us with the Fun Run. Sign up here to volunteer: Fun Run Volunteers
- Click Fun Run Shout Outs if you'd like your child to get a shout out during their run.
The classes currently leading in donations per a grade are:
- Kindergarten: Poulsen
- 1st Grade: Watters
- 2nd Grade: Michel
- 3rd Grade: Zelenak
- 4th Grade: Hylton
- 5th Grade: Galofaro
Mark your calendars for our next PTA meeting on Thursday, May 18th at 6:00pm, virtually. We are looking for feedback from parents and teachers on what days and times work best for future meetings. We need to have at least 20 members present at every PTA meeting in order to get items approved. This includes any events happening or large items purchased for our school. Please fill out this form PTA Meeting Preference to let us know what works best for you!
We are looking for people who want to join the HES PTA board and/or committees. If interested, please fill out our google form: HES PTA Board/ Committee Interest Form
We will be having teacher appreciation week May 22nd-26th when all 3 tracks are in. Flyers went home with additional details. We ask families to show their appreciation each day with something special.
- Monday 5/22: Create a homemade gift, card, or artwork for your teacher.
- Tuesday 5/23: Bring your teacher their favorite snack
- Wednesday 5/24: Send in classroom supplies or a sweet treat
- Thursday 5/25: Bring your SPECIALS teacher a gift or sweet treat
- Friday 5/26: Bring a personalized gift or gift card to your teacher
Let's thank our teacher's for making learning "so fresh" with a special salad bar on May 25th. Sign up here to help. Salad Bar Luncheon
Visit Join the PTA to become a PTA member for the 2023-2024 school year! All members must rejoin every year. So even if you were a PTA member this year, you will still need to sign up again to become a member for the 2023-2024 school year.